HKD ... beware of HKD with TKD masters

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by sputnik, May 12, 2003.

1. sputnik

sputnik New Member

After reading through a number of the posts here I can see that there seems to be some confusion about Hapkido styles.

Where I live there are 3 Hapkido dojangs. The one that I go to is pure traditional Hapkido and 2 have masters that are originally TKD masters that now run HKD schools.

A couple of students have moved over to my dojang with "black belts" from the other dojangs. However their technique and accuracy was very poor, and their kicks were all TKD kicks and not HKD kicks. They also only knew a third of the self defence methods and joint locks that our black belts know.

I spoke to my master about it and he has said that it is very common these days for TKD schools to move over to Hapkido, however the technique is more TKD based than HKD.

To be able to tell the difference. Take a look at the kicking techniques. Hapkido kicks are always straight leg kicks (for kicks that apply... like crescent kicks, hook kicks, rising kicks etc).

It terms of joint locks and self defence... if you arent required to know at least 8-10 for your first belt i would be wary.

Talk to the master. Find out his background. See what he is originally trained in. Does he go to Korea regularily to learn from his master? Is the dojang certified by the KHF or any other Hapkido Federations?

Dont waste your time learning HKD... if it will in the end just be TKD with a couple of Hapkido joint locks.

2. HKD

HKD New Member

yes i have seen this too in some schools. alot to tkd schools will teach tkd sparing forms and then a few hkd sd techniques. my instructor did both as well but he and his brothers did triditional hkd they did all there training in korea.
    i teach triditional style hkd but i have added a few tkd kicks and drills to mix it up a bit. but i don't use them in the SD techniques i teach.

HKD

3. Ancient Dragon

Ancient Dragon New Member

hey, have you guys heard of ancient dragon hapkido? I have no worries about whether im learning enough hapkido, i just want to know if people from other parts of canada have heard of my dojan
    the instructor is jeff leel, hes a 10th degree in ancient dragon hapkido and a 9th in Black Arts Society Hapkido.

4. Jazman

Jazman New Member

my instructor teaches both TKD and HKD at the same time, we do learn some TKD type kicks but stick mainly to HKD techs. We are required to learn 10 techs for first belt. Does anyone know about how many are normally learned for the second belt? We learn about 20.

5. Ancient Dragon

ten techs for what? we need to know 2 techniques for every basic attack for they yellow belt, so all told 22-30 techniques

6. Marku

Marku Banned Banned

I might be starting to do martial arts somewhere that does a mix of Hapkido and Taekwndo, ive forgotten the full name of the place though. Jung keen do or something.

7. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

If someone's a tenth degree in something its usually a safe bet that they came up with the style, or at least the name.

8. Sweeet

Sweeet Valued Member

Moreover, 'Hapkido' in it's current state was only really 'created' in the mid 90's, so I don't know how 'ancient' 'ancient dragon' Hapkido is. I also don't know what the difference is between the 'ancient' version and the normal stuff :p

Oh and I looked up 'jeff leel' (just a quick google search) - the only thing I found was a reference to a low dan ranking in Tae Kwon Do.

I could be wrong but, smells like a McDojo/fraud to me!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2003
  9. ZaCO

ZaCO New Member

In the mid 90's? I don't know which hapkido you are talking about but at least Sin Moo Hapkido was founded in 1984 by Ji Han Jae. Before that there have been those korean associations and federations which names have changed over time but first time something was called 'hapkido' was in the mid 50's. Not sure what you mean by 'current state' though. I doubt Sin Moo Hapkido has changed that much in the last few years.

I agree that ancient dragon hapkido smells really bad. :) I haven't heard of that before.

At least Sin Moo Hapkido teaches all the kicks that there is in Taekwondo AFAIK. Actually I think there is nothing in TKD that isn't in SMHKD and we have so much more in SMHKD (ground fighting, throws, many different hand strikes, many many joint locks, blocks, and we spar more or less full contact and of course half of the SMHKD should be meditations and such.. but it depends on the teacher).

10. Cain

Cain New Member

Well the style could be hapkido and the name of the school would be 'ancient dragon hapkido'

*shug*

|Cain|

11. ZaCO

ZaCO New Member

I suppose it could. A quick search with google didn't produce anything interesting. Then again it could be a really rare style or a really new one. It would be great to know how it differs from the other hapkido styles if it was a style.

12. Marku

Marku Banned Banned

how many styles of Hapkido are there around?

i found out full name for what ill be doing.

Jung Do Kwan Taekwondo/Hapkido.

13. jejanim

jejanim New Member

the styles change with the techer you pick. some will have a lot of TKD..some will have more Jitsu. Some even have Kung fu mixed in. My style encorporates the kicks from TKD, the locks throws etc. from Hapkido, and a lot of Jitsu/Vale Tudo grappling. its a very well rounded art im taking now.

jeja

14. tomek

tomek New Member

there should be about 20-30 tech for each belt, like it was long time ago...and still is in KSW and HRD.
    kicking: really depends on master, I've seen realy good kicks, not always straight leg, but in the beginning dora chagi was done only with straight leg, like in HRD.

15. Ancient Dragon

Yo, im sure everyone has stopped caring about my post about 3-4 months ago about ancient dragon hapkido, but, i wanna clear some stuff up. When i posted that, I had only been in my MA class for about 1 month, and didnt really know what i was talking about, recently i learned that most of what i said was mostly, or completely incorrect. Ancient Dragon is the heading of our school, it isnt its own style of hapkido, its a mix of HKD Jujitsu and kenpo karate. My master, made is own fighting style out of the three, and ao ancient dragon was born. As for his 9th dan in HKD, that is true, i didnt really know how it worked before, and i thought that the club he belonged to when he got his 9th degree in HKD was its own little style of hapkido, it wasnt. He was awarded his 9th degree by his master when he belonged to the Black Arts society. As for the low dan ranking in tkd, he does have a blackbelt in tkd, so that explains that. So, key points, I was dumb and mis-informed when i first posted here, the fighting style is a mix of three martial arts, the dojan is not yet one year in running and the website isnt up yet, so no internet info, and please forgive my ignorance in the past.

16. HKD

HKD New Member

good come back most people would have just let taht slip undir the by and not say anything.

HKD

17. Chris from CT

Chris from CT Valued Member

Personally, I commend you for clarifying your previous posts. :)

I just have one question. Who is/was your teacher's hapkido instructor that promoted him to 9th dan? No disrepect intended, just honestly curious.

Take care :confused:

18. Jointlock

Jointlock Valued Member

I have heard of 5th degree TKD black belts in my area going to 4 Hapkido seminars a year and then getting matched rank in Hapkido from going to those seminars. Then they start teaching what they learned at those seminars and marketing their school as teaching Hapkido.

On the other hand my master's master who was a student of the Chang Moo Kwan (not the same as one of the original tae kwon do kwans). This Chang Moo Kwan taught Tae Kwon Do, Hapkido, and Yudo (Korean for Judo). They were actually proficient in each of these arts. This was also before the WTF and the Hapkido and Tae kwon do kick were the same. First students were taught Tae kwon do, and/or yudo. When they became black belts in these arts they were allowed to attend hapkido classes. My instructor was also taught the same way.

So, it really just comes down to if the instructor has actually learned Hapkido, or if they are just trying to use the name to get people in the door.

19. hapkiyoosool

hapkiyoosool Valued Member

I agree

I see too many pretenters out there.

I grew up in Korea and have studied ONLY Hapkido all my life.

There are NO kicks in pure Hapkido techniques.

Kicks are practices in small doses so that you understand how they work to build a better defense against them.

20. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Hapkiyoosool:

"In 1954, Bok-Sub Suh was involved in an incident where he had to defend his father, Dong-Jin Suh, who was up for election to the National Assembly. A fight ensued against a few gangsters, and using kicks learned through his training in Yoo Sool, Suh defeated the gangsters. After some thought, Suh decided to suggest to Choi that the name Yoo Sool be changed to Yoo Kwon Sool, to represent the fact that besides joint locks and throwing techniques, they were also practicing strikes and kicks.

After the end of the Korean War while Choi was still teaching Bok-Sub Suh, he opened his own private school at his house and began to teach a few other students. This was in 1953. Some of the students during this period had already founded, or have gone on to found their own martial art styles. They include, Hwang-Kee (Tang-Soo-Do), In-Hyuk Suh (Kuk Sool Won), Dr. Joo-Bang Lee (Hwa Rang Do), Young-Sil Jang(Hapkido), Bong-Soo Han(Hapkido), and Han-Jae Ji (Hapkido).

Aikijutsu, applied by combining physics, geometry and physiology, was developed in to present day Hapkido. Aikijutsu is the base which is very important when examining present-day Hapkido. Hapkido as a counterpart to Aikijutsu differs mainly only by its skillful implementation of dynamic kicks which are all below waist level. You wouldn't punch someone in the foot would you? High kicks were originally designed to knock the rider off the horse by breaking the riders leg, the low kicks are for horses, as horses legs are easier to break than a human legs. Low and high kicks are learned to defend against kicks and powerful hand strikes learned to defend against hand strikes. It was this difference in mind that original Hapkido (HapkiYooSool) was created, producing a dynamic balance of both methods. The sword and staff are the main weapons we train with and which all empty hand techniques come from."
    source: http://www.hapkiyoosool.com/hist.htm

(1) I fear there is either a misunderstanding on my part ...or...
    (2) Maybe you aren't who you say you are... or...
    (3) Maybe the site is wrong... but I really hope that...
    (4) You aren't a troll.