Hitler stopped me training!

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by jonmonk, May 20, 2006.

1. jonmonk

jonmonk New Member

This weekends training sessions have had to be cancelled because some poor sod was digging up his garden to build a conservatory and came across a 1000lb WW2 bomb. I bet that took him by surprise :eek: Anyway, our sports centre is now being used as an evacuation centre so there was no classes yesterday and no training over the weekend. It even made the news.
    I was wondering whether anyone else had classes cancelled for unusual or just downright weird reasons.

2. Existence

Existence Super Saiyajin :o

Hitler has now caused you to have your own Mein Kampf.
    "The Blitzkreig continues to the 21 century"

3. Sever

Sever Valued Member

My ju jitsu class was stopped for a couple of lessons due to an "outbreak" of legionella (legionaire's disease) in the pool at the sports centre we train at. Basically, some guy had thought he'd been in contact with it, been in the pool and somehow the local papers got ahold of it calling it an outbreak. Since I work in the lab that was doing all the tests on the people that thought they were affected, I knew that no one had it, but there was enough panic that the sports centre was shut down for a little while

Last edited: May 20, 2006
  4. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

I was once stopped training by a sifu simply because he couldn't be bothered to teach! But that doesn't hold a candle to your story. :) That's incredible. Was it defused safely in the end?

I'd also be curious to know how they get buried without anyone noticing that they are there! :eek:

Oh, and happy 1,000th post, by the way. :cool:

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Yeah those damn Nazi's. Always sneaking around burrying bombs in peoples backyard. :D

6. CosmicFish

LOL! :D

But seriously, at some point someone must have shovelled earth over it and built a house on top without noticing it was there.

7. thepunisher

thepunisher Banned Banned

I think actually CosmicFish, they have a time machine and predetermine under which house or sports centre to bury a bomb so at a certain time in the future it gets found and a MA's lesson gets cancelled. ;) :D

Christian

8. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Actually Cosmic on a brief reality note(egads not that!:D)

The reason they find bombs unexploded like this is because the ones that don't go off during the initial drop are burried rather deep and still intact(due to faulty impact fuses) - though in any given area there would have been much devastation around anyhow- so it wouldn't be that hard for a bomb to be lost and then the ground leveled right back over it.

The UK is not the only place with the problem either. Cambodia and Laos have both unexploded bombs and landmines as does Afghanistan and the border between Iran and Iraq.

From a different era there is France- which to this day still employs squads of special tech's to go in a remove/defuse/detonate bombs on farm land. The majority of them are from WWII but every so often they'll find an undetonated cannon shell from WWI.

Here in China it's happens several times a year that some farmer or developer unearths a cache of bombs. The most recent being a massive cache containing WWII era chemical agents(mustard gas etc.) that Japanese had knowingly buried in China... of course this doesn't do to much for Sino-Japanese relations.

Ok now back to the regularly scheduled thread. :D

9. CosmicFish

Wow. I guess so. Heavy object dropped from a great height landing amongst lots of rubble.

Should have thought of that myself. :eek:

10. jonmonk

jonmonk New Member

:) cheers, it took a while but I got there eventually.
    Well you know what builders are like. It was either that or they fly-tip it. :)

11. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Clearly H17L0r considers you dangerous!!!! Beware Mr Monk, beware!!!

Attached Files:

12. Kertas

Kertas Valued Member

bad excuse

well, they say that small thinkers have the approach you have adopted. but my excuse is better... it rained friday night. class was cancelled :D

13. philp

philp New Member

rofl :D

moosey's d34d1y paint skills shine again.

14. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

Congrats on hitting 1000 posts, make the most of your break and have a blas...er..well you know what I mean. :D

Now you can claim your training is da bomb. :cool:

15. jonmonk

jonmonk New Member

lmao. :D