History

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Joseki, Apr 14, 2002.

1. Joseki

Joseki Valued Member

I'm a very nosey person so i am going to ask the following
    1. why did you start martial arts
    2. how long have you been training
    3. what grades do you hold
    4. do you find it fun

so im just being nosey so if you dont say then its my hard luck

2. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Is this directed to everyone?

1. why did you start martial arts

I was dared...I was told it was a good way to exercise and defense and I had a go because I thought I should keep myself fit (please see article A Beginners Perspective - The Grading by Me)

2. how long have you been training

On and off for 2 years - I have suffered a couple of injuries but have come back each time :D

3. what grades do you hold

Hmmm - I'm a 6th Kyu in Shotokan - that's all :(

4. do you find it fun

Absolutely!

Melanie

3. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

1. I started Martial arts when I was being picked on in primary school. I had to stop through injury when I was 13, and started back when I was 20 to give me something to do other than loitering in bars like most students :)

2. 14 months and 4 days! :)

3. 7th Kyu, which is 2nd blue belt

4. Heck yeah, I love it! Especially sparring

4. Joseki

Joseki Valued Member

Yes it is directed to everone who wishes to say

5. waya

waya Valued Member

I started in children's classes when I was 3 for discipline and to wear my energy down. I have continued training (small gap from a broken knee) ever since, and am currently training in several arts.

I am a Nidan in Shotokan, about to test for 1st Dan in TKD, I train Jeet Kune Do off and on, Just passed 6th Gup in Hapkido, and in the near future will be starting at another school as well as picking up one more art where I currently train.

Do I find it fun? So much more than just that.

Rob

6. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

What about you Joseki, when did u start your MA? :)

Osu

7. Joseki

Joseki Valued Member

I started in 1985 and been going ever since

I hold 5 dan grades and am the uk head instructor and grader for Freestyle Ju Jitsu

I have great fun teaching and learning/training

8. Kosokun

Kosokun Valued Member

I can't run very fast.
    Seriously, my interest was piqued when I saw the old Dick Tracy Cartoon on TV (I think I was 4). There was a character called 'Joe Jitsu'. He used his "ju jitsu" when apprehending the bad guys, saying "So sorry" and "scuse please" when pounding the thugs. Then he'd swing them over the head and say "Sayonara" as he threw them into the back of a waiting Paddy Wagon. Then, when I saw Bruce as Kato on the Green Hornet, well that cemented it. I had to do martial arts.

Since April 1971
    Shihan, Godan: karate
    Nidan: Ryukyu Kobujuts Kenkyu Doyu Kai
    Absolutely!