Historical videos on Traditional Yang Taijiquan

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by oldyangtaiji, Dec 11, 2005.

1. oldyangtaiji

oldyangtaiji Old Yang Taijiquan

I am collecting videos of the Yang style Masters performing varius traditional forms. I have videos of Tung Ying Chieh, Cheng Man Ching, Fu Sheng Yuan (and Fu Qing Quan), Yang Zhenduo (and Yang Jun) and Chang Tung Sheng.

I am searching for videos of Fu Zhong Wen, Yang Sau Chung (or some of his students like Ip Tai Tak, Chu Gin Soon or Chu King Hung) and Chen Wei Ming! I will be also interested for videos of Tian Zhao Lin, Hsiung Yang Ho, Zhan Qin Lin, Chen Pan Ling and Liang Tung Tsai.

I plan to buy two videos:
    - "Yang Style Tai Chi Chuan Medium Frame Solo Form" DVD by Vincent Chu (the form of Yang Sau Chung)
    - Rare Historical Tapes - Video Tape One: "Masters I" VHS by Yau-Sun Tong (Fu Zhong-Wen performing the traditional form)
    Does anybody has any of above videos? Any coment about them? Thanks for any help!

2. hegu

hegu Valued Member

try to

go to the emptyflower.com page. Great page with lots of taiji, bagua and xingji links and videos. I saw there some really old tapes of old yang and chen masters. I don't know their names but they look really old to me:) Maybe you will find what you are looking for.

3. oldyangtaiji

That videos are too litle old ;)
    Thanks

4. Uncle Bill

Uncle Bill Valued Member

- Rare Historical Tapes - Video Tape One: "Masters I" VHS by Yau-Sun Tong (Fu Zhong-Wen performing the traditional form)

Are you talking about the tape with Fu Zhong-Wen, Wu Ying-Hua, Hao Shao-Ru, Master Gu Xin-Wu, and one of Sun Lu-Tang's students (I think)?

If so, you may be disappointed. Picture has a very snowy quality, as if it has been copied and re-copied many times. Not worth the cost, in my opinion.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2005
  5. oldyangtaiji

Yes is that video. :p
    I know that it is in poor quality, but I hope that is enough good to see all the movements.
    Was the video that you seen original by the producer (or re-copied many times)?
    I don't know if there are aviable any other video about FZW around!? :confused:

6. Uncle Bill

Uncle Bill Valued Member

The video that I saw was purchased directly from the producer. It's probably still good enough to see all (or most) of the movements, but if you already have the video of Fu Sheng Yuan, I don't think you'll gain anything by purchasing this video. As I said, the quality is very disappointing.

All the other old masters that you mention are from a previous generation when the use of film/video was not as widespread as it is today and I doubt that videos of them exist, with the exception of Liang Tung Tsai perhaps (his student Stuart Olsen would be able to advise you).

Last edited: Dec 17, 2005
  7. oldyangtaiji

The quality is very disappointing? :cry:

Yes, I have videos od Fu Sheng Yuan and his son Fu Qing Quan. :D Are the Fu Sheng Yuan's form the same as Fu Zhong Wen's in that video?

Yes, I know that many masters were not filmed, so the videos don't exists. I only asked is anybody knows about any other video that I don't have.

8. Uncle Bill

Uncle Bill Valued Member

"Are the Fu Sheng Yuan's form the same as Fu Zhong Wen's in that video?"

It's some years since I've seen the video of Fu Sheng Yuan so it's hard for me to say exactly. However, I would have to imagine that there is not that much difference.

"The quality is very disappointing?"

It looks like the "producer" copies the videos at home himself instead of having them copied professionally in a laboratory as claimed. Still, they're available for purchase if you wish, but as I said, I think you'll be very disappointed if you do decide to spend the money. For the price that they cost, I don't think they're worth it. There are much better quality videos available.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2005
  9. oldyangtaiji

Maybe you are right. :rolleyes:
    For now I willl order the Vincent Chu's DVD that is a professional production about Yang Sau Chung's form. :D
    Maybe latter I will decide to buy also that video with Fu Zhong Wen's form.
    Thanks for the advice. :)