Hips

Discussion in 'Karate' started by kandi, Jun 18, 2017.

1. kandi

kandi Valued Member

I think I'm getting use to the hip movement for some kihon. It's easier right leg back, striking. Not so easy south paw, or blocking... especially when blocking in south paw.

Is the hip movement less pronounced when blocking with your left arm in south paw? I feel like I'm already turned half way back to neutral, so there's less hip rotation available.

Are there any reputable videos that shows hip movements for all the kihon (blocks and strikes), rather than just the traditional jab / reverse with the classic right leg back kumite dachi stance?

Thanks...

2. kandi

kandi Valued Member

Bump, anyone?

3. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Can't help you with a video, but essentially, the hip movement is the same in almost every karate technique. Your preparatory position or midpoint of the technique will pretty much always have your hips at 45 degrees from their final position. So, assuming right leg forward, your preparation for all right hand blocks and strikes will see your hips square and the final position will see your right hip at 45 degrees forward. For left hand blocks and strikes, your left hip will be 45 degrees back and you'll generate power by pushing your hip square.

Essentially, all of the power in your techniques is generated by moving your hips from / to – (assuming you're facing "up the page"). The small number of exceptions are moves like mae geri, hiza geri and ushiro geri, where it's a straight push with both hips (from _ to –) and chokuzuki/karazuki which has very little hip engagement.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  4. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

It'll all get easier with time and (correct) practice; it's simply that throughout your life you've naturally ended up using certain bits and bobs more than others, and the symmetrical nature of most kihon training is making that flare up like a sore thumb. You might end up perfectly symmetrical, or continue to favour one side over the other for X or Y technique even as both sides continue to improve. As far as technical references, that'd depend on what style you do (and there can be a bit of variation once you get out of the most basic stuff), but I'd still recommend you check out videos by Masao Kawasoe, who is an excellent Shotokan technician, Shotokan being a style known for "big" motions (so even if you do a more compact style, through watching Shotokan you can see the general motions better) or even some by Mikio Yahara, whose substyle of Shotokan exaggerates the hip actions even further (so if you were to imitate him while doing another style your sensei would probably laugh at you, but for the purposes of seeing HOW the hips move, it's one of the clearest resources you'll see).