Hip Twist or Sine Wave?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Buxton TKD, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Buxton TKD

Buxton TKD New Member

Just wondering on what people's thoughts were on either hip twist or sine wave.

I attended a seminar with Generel Choi Hong Hi in Setember 2000 and I was amazed by the mans ability. But also I seen TKD in a different way. I know a lot of groups do Hip Twist and ours used to. Since the seminar we have changed over to Sine Wave which I personally find a massive benefit not only in power, but also find it a lot easier on the body.

It'd be intersted to see what you guys and girls think or even practice.

Tae Kwon

2. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Lots of "thoughts" were generated on this subject in this thread Bounce and Sine Wave //////

3. Ara

Ara New Member

Being more science orientated, I can see the physics behind how the sine wave motion generates its power. It comes from (technically) the whole body mass rising up and dropping down into the movement. Say it was a punch..force = MASSxACCELERATION. now keeping acceleration constant, say you just punched from you arm. Youd get the mass of your arm only hence the force to the target area is reduced. However if you rise with your body first and drop into the punch with the whole body, technically yor whole body mass is transmitted through tthe punch and you end up with more force on that target area. Using the hip twist, when you havent really mastered it, i think limits your power as you are not utilising your whole body. But at our school we learn a combination of the 2. the rise and fall during the movements as a sine wave, and at the end of every movement, a snap in every moving joint to generate that extra bit of power as your being the movement to an end and go to the next movement.