Hip pain or tightness?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by d4vid, Sep 28, 2013.

1. d4vid

d4vid Valued Member

Hi,my name is David and i would like to ask you something.

So around 2 years i feel pain in my hip when i try to do some stretch (split or something like that). I were at 2 doctors booth of them asked for x-ray i did but they said it's everything is ok.
    So i started to thing about i'm tight but i've a problem i do Karater around 6 years so it means i needed the stretch before it too and i feel the pain 'only' two years.

When i make warmup and i try to to the splits i feel the pain BUT before this i put my leg on the other and i let it there for some mins i can go lower and lower. But after this when i sit down and stay more then 30mins i feel the pain when i stand up or etc...

My next idea is : i was very thin but now in the past 2 years i gained around 20 kg,i was think about it i feel the pain also when im lying on the bed and i try to stretch.
    (this is the way of i put my legs,at the start i could do it very hard http://comp.webstockpro.com/tetraimages/ti1603111.jpg )
    So somebody has any idea?

2. TheDog

TheDog Banned Banned

First things first, I think if you're feeling actual pain during stretching, you should stop stretching as far.
    I think nearly everybody gets this sort of thing as they get older and put on a bit of weight.
    Maybe you could look at other ways of stretching? I recommend Tom Kurz's stretching scientifically if you have the cash. It'll tell you all you need to know about stretching.

3. d4vid

d4vid Valued Member

I'm 18 so i get the pain at 15-16,i thing it's dosent old.

4. TheDog

TheDog Banned Banned

Ah. Fair enough. In any case, I'd call off the splits for a while, also, do you warm up much before you do this?

5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

d4vid, you've gained the weight, but have you gained the strength?

Strength and flexibility go hand in hand and pain, or a sticking point, is just the body saying, "I'm not strong enough to go any further".

6. d4vid

d4vid Valued Member

TheDog: Yes i do.

Simon: What do you mean exactly? It's not the same pain,it's not in my leg. I feel the pain at this area:
    [​IMG]

7. TheDog

TheDog Banned Banned

Ah. Now that's something I hadn't thought of.
    The point is that flexibility is highly correlated with strength in the poisition that you want to have flexibility in.

8. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

....looks like the upper part of the IT band (though not IT band syndrome)

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEmGHsJ1fEY"]IT Band Myth #1: Location, Location, Location - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  9. TheDog

TheDog Banned Banned

got a foam roller at all, David?

10. d4vid

d4vid Valued Member

no i dont why it would be usefull?

11. TheDog

TheDog Banned Banned

12. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

More info on the foam roller and it's uses here.