Hints and tips please !!

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by nimpy, Apr 10, 2014.

1. nimpy

nimpy Valued Member

Thanks for all the advice and support. I started implementing sprints in with my running today, really felt it, I am starting to watch what I eat more too, less junk more fruit. I need to get the hang of skipping but I shall keep at it!!

I am training twice a week, as its all the time I have at the moment, and all I can afford too, plenty of bag work and working on my kicking technique among other things, so hopefully I will be well prepared.

2. nimpy

nimpy Valued Member

Back again, been away, didn't realise it had been as long! anyway a sit-rep for those that are interested:

Weight. I lost a bit but, I hate to say it a holiday in Germany recently and I put some of it back on, the tournament is on Saturday, so I don't hold much hope of losing it in time! Lack of self control on my part. Lesson learned.

Fitness. I am fitter than I have ever been, In October I ran the Birmingham half marathon in 2hrs 11mins with a bad leg, and didn't feel too bad after, I have been sparring with much more experienced fighters and gaining experience from this, also taking on board the advise that they have been giving me, regarding using my reach both in my arms and legs to keep the opponent at bay.

It is light continous, which suits me better, I prefer this to the start stop of semi contact point fighting. Who know I may get to try full contact one day!

So a couple of runs this more runs this week, and a sparring/training session on Wednesday and then it's onto the tournament.

I feel a little anxious but pretty psyched. I just hope I put in a good showing!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  3. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Do you feel like you can last during sparring more than you used to though?

Sounds like you've made a lot of progress though. Best of luck to you, let us know how you get on. :)

4. nimpy

nimpy Valued Member

Hi

Yup feel like I can last longer in sparring, don't feel as out of breath and "beaten" as I once did, certainly feel like I have been working though!

5. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Did you implement the fartlek training? You feel that including sprints/intervals helped?

Hard to loose weight when you're surrounded by Bavarian bakeries. :love:

6. nimpy

nimpy Valued Member

Yes I did, it has helped for sure, a different sort of fitness to just running!

haha I know, wurst and wiesbier don't help with the weight either!

7. nimpy

nimpy Valued Member

Okay, so it didn't exactly go according to plan.

I fought in the Semi contact and lost by 2 points, I scored the 1st two and then took my foot of the gas, I watched the video and I made numerous mistakes.

The light continuous didn't go as planned either, the Fellow I was supposed to fight broke his toe, and I was matched up with the current UK PKA Champ, who also fight a lot of Full contact stuff. I got hammered, big time. I think I was beaten before I got on the mat TBH, knowing who he was. Again the video makes for hideous viewing, it's like I forgot everything. But at least he took me to the side later on and have me some tips.

So my 1st fights didn't go as planned but not been put off, and looking forward to getting back on the mat!

8. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

Fair play your attitude is great :) If you can learn from your losses and stay motivated then you have every chance to become a formidable fighter. That mentality is something that you cannot teach people and it's such a huge asset.

Congrats on having the courage to compete, already sets you apart from a large % of people. Keep up wth the training and best of luck for the future :)

9. nimpy

nimpy Valued Member

Thank you :)

I should be able to post up the videos, though they are a bit ( a lot) embarasing, still they allow me to see what went wrong and think on it!

10. LemonSloth

Fair play to you for trying, that took real guts. And it sounds like in the first fight you could have pulled it through which is a great sign that your training is on the right track IMO.

And since you were smart enough to get your own footage (I wish I'd thought of doing that!) you can watch it back and work on problem areas. Hell I'd wager you won't make those exact same mistakes in the same way again as a result. So I say well done buddy, even if you didn't come away with a couple of wins. :).

Comp nerves are awful, aren't they?

If it makes you feel better, in my first comp I had equipment issues that no-one bothered to tell me about - no rules on equipment were provided so I turned up with my regular kit and they pitched a fit. Even though my equipment was fine save for a lack of a head guard which I had to borrow from someone as I had left mine back at the hotel (though it was too small). I also had injuries to my toes and left knee, stood round for about 4 1/2 hours waiting to go on which destroyed me mentally before I stepped on the mat, was the only guy in my category...and when I finally came to fight my hands were in terrible positions, my form was weak, I was slow and every time I did catch my opponent I received a warning regardless of how much effort I actually put into it...and I came 2nd. With a severely sprained thumb, split lip and broken nose from light contact stuff.

Put it this way, I didn't make those mistakes again :p.

11. nimpy

nimpy Valued Member

Cheers! My mind went blank and I was like a rabbit in the headlights I think. My stance sucks and I kept dropping my right arm for a start. I have on the black headgear.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HZHKY8Aqao&feature=youtu.be"]Points fight Birmingham 2013 - YouTube[/ame]

I look like I am lumbering around :(

Even more annoying because I have know him and have beaten him in sparring matches, but I just couldn't get it together in the day!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  12. nimpy

nimpy Valued Member

My "fight" against the pka champ. I get mauled.

Looking for any pointers and critique of my performance really. I know my movement is way to linear, and agiain I drop my right arm, and failto through a decent front kick. Won't take you long to figure out who is who!

Anyway comments welcome and appreciated

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IAoZcdO05CY[/ame]

13. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I hate being critical of fighters who post videos here.

You're on the mat and I'm not, however, and I think you've already nailed it, you need that front kick working like a jab.

A razor like jab and a sharp front kick may have kept him at bay.

Every time he even looks like he's going to hit you throw it out there. As if to say, "are you sure you want to get that close?"

That jab and front kick will set up everything else.

Thank you for posting these videos.

14. nimpy

nimpy Valued Member

Cheers Simon, yeh it all went to pot tbh, psychological as much as anything else.

15. LemonSloth

This was all I was going to say as well actually.

Can I just ask though, did you have any preference between doing continuous and points on the day?

16. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Here is a video I did a couple of years ago for the Sparring Series Thread.

Hopefully it'll explain my idea a little better.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-BnqC6VfvA#t=218[/ame]

17. nimpy

nimpy Valued Member

Thanks Simon! I know what you are getting at, my front kick seemed to be non existant, I tried to get back into it but just couldn't, my form disappeared...

Lemonsloth I much prefer continuous fighting, and was really looking forward to fighting my original opponent, BT when he dropped out and I ended up with jack, I think I let the "fear" get the better of me.