Hiking Ireland and Scotland

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Brad Ellin, Dec 25, 2007.

1. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

So, I'm planning a trip somewhere in June/July, while the wife is in India. Decided to not visit India this year, due to the cost, limited amount of time I can go for. So, I have decided that I would like to visit Ireland and/or Scotland and make a hiking trip of it.

Any suggestions? Routes? Places of must see interest? Couches to crash on?

Budgeting enough to carry me thru at least 10 to 14 days of hotels and food. Couches would extend my incidentals budget considerably.

2. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

If I'm back in Ireland during the time I'd be happy to show you some of the 'sites' in Belfast or around Northern Ireland though I've not got much experience with hiking so I might not be of much help. The only major suggestion I have is try to see places in the North and the South (you can get a return bus ticket from Dublin Airport to Belfast City Centre for £10 and it takes about 3 hrs) as although they are in many ways similiar everyone I've took to Ireland on trips has enjoyed it more when we've visited both the North and the South.

Unfortunately as I live in London most of the year I also have no couch to offer :(. Have you considered hostels? If your planning to be out and about and just need a bed they can cut costs considerably.

3. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Killen Hotel, Killen.

Fantastic Hotel in the middle of so much beauty and history. Tayside is a good base for much of Scotland beauty.

4. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

"Couch Surfing" (they have a website) has come to me highly recommended. Never tried it myself but I know people who used it almost exclusively during travelling. Saved them heaps of money and they also got experiences thrown in that otherwise they would not have had.

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Brad, I've got no tips for you on Ireland or Scotland... but I take a bow of deep respect for anyone who is willing to champion the cause of man and wife taking separate vacations! If more people were willing to aid this cause life would be so much more peaceful for all mankind. :D

I also wanted to state that I'm officially jealous... I always wanted to go hike both Ireland and Scottland. :p

6. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

If you are up for walking, you could do the West Highland Way. It goes from Glasgow up to Fort William.

Added bonus to that: It goes past a few breweries. :D

7. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

Hostels are definately on my stay at list. Couch Surfing, thanks Taff, I'd completely forgotten about that site.
    West Highland Way sounds good, especially the part about breweries along the way. But, how about distilleries along the way? I've become a single malt drinker and would love to get a taste of the real real thing.

The hardest part will be planning the route so as to get as much hiking in and have a place to stay each night. Would rather not camp out, though if it's permissible I would.

What's the weather like that time of year? Temp, rainfall?

8. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

Distilleries are along the route as well. You are more likely to find a distillery than a brewery in the Highlands.

Temp wise between 10-23 degrees. Take insect repellent as midges (the small flies) can be a nightmare near water and in areas where woods and small pools are. If camping buy the smoke tabs to keep them away.

Some DVD to get if you decide to do the walk:

http://www.sendit.com/video/item/7000000110610

http://www.grindelwald.co.uk/MOVIE/west highland way.mov

My recommendation is to book ahead and if you can get a caravan at the Inverlochy caravan site for a few days. I stayed there last year and it is a wonderful place to go stay. It has a train station back to Glasgow.

9. Moi

10. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

11. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil wants to go climbing...

If you're going to be hiking around Norn Iron I highly suggest hiking around Silent Valley. It's a massive water dam surrounded by huge lush hills. Beautiful place to be walking...and of course, you can't go wrong by visiting the Giants Causeway and you've certainly got to cross Carrick-a-Rede brope bridge that connects the mainland to a tiny wee island. It's a massive tourist attraction but it has never been too busy when I've been there.

Anyhoo, I cannot vouch for Scotland but pretty much anywhere you trek in Ireland is going to be rewarding.

12. adouglasmhor

The Giant's Causeway sucks, If you are hiking in the north, try the south Down Hills

13. adouglasmhor

If you are coming to Central Scotland you can Crash at mine or my mum and dads if you want my dad has been a Scout Leader for 30 years plus and knows loads of walks of varying levels, the only problem is he will try to load you up with maps, leaflets and books about the areas before you go.

14. soyez efficaces

soyez efficaces Valued Member

buyu hospitality

thats typical Scot hospitality for you :D

hey Brad, you might want to make contact with some of the Bujinkan folks in Ireland. Also, I second the West highland way in Scotland :)

paul

15. Moi

There are a load of walks in video and on slideshow on Youtube under 'Scottish walks' - funnily enough.

16. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

West Highland Way

Is my choice for the coming year. I'm researching agencies that set these things up and comparing prices. One I've contacted seems very willing to work with me, seeing how I want to go as cheap as possible. Hostels and camping as much as possible/feasible.

My airfare should be pretty cheap, I can get a company discount with BA. Just trying to find the cheapest, yet fairly quick way from London (Gatwick) to Glasgow.

All in all, it'll cost me about the same as my airfare alone to India.

In preparation, I did a 10 mile hike in the woods yesterday. Found I need some squishy insoles in my boots.

What are the laws on carrying a knife? Nothing big and menacing, just a utility knife. Better to buy one there? Or bring one?

What's a good Scottish beer (ale, lager)? I figure a pint for lunch and a dram at dinner ought to set me up right.

And maybe something to eat.

17. Moi

Coach would be the cheapest unless you can find a saver rail ticket in advance

It'll have to be in your case not hand luggage, folding and with a blade of less than 4". Plenty where your going, very touristy

Find a real ale pub for the real stuff, otherwise it's the same as you get anywhere in the Uk. Some places will have a guest beer or two

Great breakfasts, good home cooked food all over Scotland. Might be worth investing in the Good Pub Guide

http://www.goodguides.co.uk/

Another thing worth thing about is if your bringing a mobile phone get Nav-4-All on your phone. Worldwide free sat nav on you phone with pedestrian mode.

18. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

As long as you can prove you need that knife for a certain thing, you can carry it. Just do not expect to take it to a bar and get pally with the police when they find you with it. Also saying your American and you have a right will land you in some situation with some blunt questions from the local police.

Best to say you are using it as a camping tool. You use it for hunting and for chopping up small branches for a fire ETC. As long as you can prove it is what you say it as a purpose tool you will be able to carry it.

But remember Scottish law and police have clamped down on knife crime in Scotland recently, so be very wary when walking about. Keep it hidden in your backpack and not on your person and you should be fine.

19. Moi

Wouldn't rule out the humble B&B. Off the main tourists routes these bed and breakfast establishments whether they be a house, farmhouse or pub can offer some of the best value around.

20. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

This is why I asked about the laws. I'm not the ugly american, expecting everyone to treat me differently becasue I'm a Yank (or should I say, I do expect to be treated differently because of that?). I just want to carry a leatherman or a simply pocket knife for cutting bread and cheese and sausage on the trail, or cutting firewood as Martial Dad said. And I know more about carrying a knife on the plane the you probably do, I work and fly on them for a living.

Just don't want to be the 'dumb' american and get in trouble for carrying a folding blade.

B&Bs sound great, but I'm trying to so this on the cheap. Flying to Glasgow for $157 or train for $201. Sounds about right to you guys (and gals)?