High hopes

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by raaeoh, Jan 19, 2014.

1. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

My wife trains MMA with the intent of fighting.
    I am more refined and study chidokwon karate.
    We are both experienced at lifting for general strength. We enjoy lifting together.
    She wants power and strength. I want power and speed. We both want more endurance and definition.

We really want to keep lifting together. My suggestion was we switch how we train each week to touch not each of our goals.

Any input on this? Perhaps a unicorn training program, for us to consider.

Or am I just chasing a unicorn thinking we can have all of the above.

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Lol@ "More refined".

Why don't you both go to the gym at the same time and do different things while you're there?

3. raaeoh

She is the one who called me more refined. :) we were hoping to get a little more time together. The constant work, and work out routines plus the needs of the minis, means we get very little time with each other to just talk like we do between sets. It's just something We we're hopeing to hold on to. We still have our off days to get an hour or two of us time.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Well it's a sacrifice man. It's your choice, get better or don't. Best alternative I can come up with is a handsfree headset and talk during the gym hours.

5. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

why not a program that you both do with explosive lfits as a core (oly lifts, pendlay rows, kroc rows, push presses, full contact twists, box jumps, jump squats, etc), and then you both work on different accessory/supplementary lifts afterwards depending on what you want to do that differs? (besides, strength -> more speed, and more speed at heavier weights <- got stronger, so there's no real difference in how you should work, barring perhaps small details)

6. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

How many days a week do you train MA?
    How many days a week do you have to strength train?
    what equipment do you have access to? (Boxes, Olympic bars other stuffs)

7. icefield

icefield Valued Member

How experienced are you really? How much do you weigh,what's your deadlift squat and bench numbers like, what's your wifes like in comparison....

8. raaeoh

I do MA 3 days 1.5 to 2 hours at the gym. 6 days a week in the a.m. we get 2 maybe 3 depending on time. I can do all 3days if I choose no problem.
    We have access to squat rack, dedicated incline, decline, straight bench tons of Olympic free weights, literally. dumbbells lat pull down machine, leg press, curl and extension machines. kettle bells, medicine balls etc.

I am guessing we are going to continue what are doing now. same exercises just different weight, reps and speed of reps.

9. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

same question as icefield

10. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

My high hopes are always mexican food and doritos. :3