Hi

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by AsSaSiN, May 29, 2003.

1. AsSaSiN

AsSaSiN New Member

Hello there,

I been looking to do some martial arts for ages now, but as cream cakes seem to have got the better of me recently, i couldn't be bothered. I finally did, when i head about Muay Thai. It's tough to actually find a place where people do this! Apparently, there is only ONE place that does thai in my whole city! And i found it!

Luckily, there is some good news. Well, the guy who trains me has trained about 13 European champions, his daughter is 2 time UK thai boxing champion, and hes trained loads of UK champions! I know there is loads and LOADS of diffferent classes and stuff, but i think i found the right person!

I went to my first lesson the other day, and i loved it. My body is aching now, but it was worth it. We started with about 10 minutes of skipping, a lengthy stretching session, and then even though i was new, he cut the crap and taught me some basic moves (how i should be positioned, mid kick (dont know its real name lol, and a few elbow combos), and i can't wait till my next lesson!

Thanks for taking the time to read the above, and i'm looking forward to Yodas wiseness and tips (i've read some of them before :) )

2. AsSaSiN

AsSaSiN New Member

blah

Hmz ok one more thing. I chose Thai because of its repuatation. I'm not a violent person. I'm 16 and never had a fight in my life. Nobody has ever even hated me and wanted to fight me. This is because im always chilled out. But thats what enoys me, i have this craving for fighting, but yet i fear i will get battered by some ruff nut who has mastered the art of brawling. And its not even the fear of being in pain, that doesn't mean anything to me. It's all about repuatation. I suppose thats why i am so chilled out - i fear being confronted, and not being able to defend myslef. That why i decided to start a martial art.

According to most folk, Thai is the toughest / ruffest art? I mean me saying this will probably cause a rift in the international martial arts community or something, but i had to ask (sorry). Don't get me wrong, i don't plan to go out when i'm good and pick fights. i just want to be able to trust myself that i can fight if need be.

3. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Hmmmm....... sounds very familiar. Are you by any chance in NW England?

4. AsSaSiN

AsSaSiN New Member

erm

I live in mid england mate, his name is Mark Barlow, know of him? And please give me some advice, evn if its just bs! Your infinite wisdom honors me :D

5. YODA

Hmmm...... he's in Leicester if memory serves. LEVO's your best person to speak to for that area - BTW if you fancy a dabble at MMA / Shootfighting then LEVO's your man!

6. AsSaSiN

AsSaSiN New Member

Cheers mate, whats MMA!? I pm Levo anyway :D

7. YODA

MMA = Mixed Martial Arts - LEVO teaches at Leicester Shootfighters - he was at my club for a seminar last weekend - top bloke :D

8. AsSaSiN

AsSaSiN New Member

Just seeing them bright white teeth contrasting with the red of your skin makes it all worth it :love:

9. YODA

10. grandmaster mat

grandmaster mat wataaaahhh!!

i wish i was space invaders champion.....

11. YODA

Go for it - 80k should do it :D

12. AsSaSiN

AsSaSiN New Member

Just been to lesson No.2, and i have my first official lump on my shin. What pleases me about Thai is it's learning style. i did Karate some years back, Goyararu it was, Know known as Tetsudo. I had a yellow belt :D (i feel pathetic against the mighty Yoda). But in karate, it used to be go there, Stand in horse posture for god knows how long and punch the air. In Thai, we do skipping, lots of stretching, then get the pads and gloves out and let the knees and shins begin! I've also met the coolest guy ever :D

13. YODA

Be VERY careful with lumps on shins dude - believe me.

14. AsSaSiN

AsSaSiN New Member

Ok mate, can u explain to me how they can cause problems? you kinda scared me now, i'll think twice before booting the punchbag.

15. YODA

Booting the punchbag is fine - do it progressively - start easy - when your shin STARTS to get sore - STOP. Over time you'll get used to it without the lumpy shins.

A mate of mine died from a bang on the shin - just take it slooooowly!

16. AsSaSiN

AsSaSiN New Member

Cheers mate, you know if i wern't posting here, i probably would have carried on mindlessly not knowing what it actually means. I was showing it to my dad, i thought it was cool, but i'll be much more cautious now. I think in all the excitememnt, i forgot there are a few precautions i should take. Nice 1 :)

17. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

I asked this earlier in the kickboxing sub-forum thing, but can I get cancer if I break things with my palms-alot. Like if I break concrete bricks, etc and boards every day can I develop cancer from it?

18. YODA

I dunno about cancer - that's more of a bone thing.

Mas Oyama of Kyokushinkai fame was VERY into breaking with palm strikes - do a little research into his eyesight as he got older.

19. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

Breaking bricks can damage eyesight? I will read about him. I already have horrible eyesight I am legally blind with my glasses off, and it seems to be getting worse too, I am going to read about that right away.

20. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

I did searches on 3 different search engines and nothing came up on him. :confused: