1. TwirlinMerlin

TwirlinMerlin Valued Member

Hi everyone,

I've been visiting this website for a little while now and thought I would sign up. Martial arts have always been an interest and at times a hobby of mine. It's been several years now but the last art I studied was Shotokan Karate. Before that, it was Isshinryu. I felt that both styles had good things to offer me, like the power striking of Shotokan, and the quick snappy striking and natural fighting stance of Isshinryu. I've dabbled in a couple of other arts but liked Karate the best. I'm in no way a master of any style and don't claim to be any kind of expert. I enjoy learning. Especially about all the different styles that are out there. There are so many interesting styles. Also, now that I'm a little older and wiser than I once was I would like to learn more about de-escalation techniques. It has dawned on me recently that I need to get better at being able to de-escalate a hostile person that may become violent. Does anyone have any good reading suggestions for learning de-escalation techniques? Thanks!

2. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Welcome! Glad you're interested in the actual self defence side of things. I would always suggest taking a first, second, and third thread through of Verbal Judo as a start for that specifically.

3. Smaug97

Smaug97 Valued Member

Welcome!

4. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Learn about active listening then do a course on it. It takes practice.

Look at Rory Miller and Geoff Thompson's work. You need to know what you are de-esclating, why is the person upset or aggressive and why is it aimed at you?

Welcome to MAP. :)

5. flaming

flaming Valued Member

6. TwirlinMerlin

Thanks for the suggestions.

7. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

I like the name, welcome to Map.

8. Marku85

Marku85 Valued Member

welcome to MAP !

9. TwirlinMerlin

I went ahead and ordered Verbal Judo today. Looking forward to reading it.

10. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Hi welcome

Looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts in the future.

For de-escalation techniques its worth looking into assertiveness classes. This will not tell you what do do specifically. But assertiveness is about deciding where to draw the line and how to hold the line without being aggressive or submissive.

Aggression encourages people who are looking for a fight. Submissive encourages people who are looking for a victim. Assertiveness asserts your rights as a human being. It encourages you. It discourages both types of attacker.

Assertiveness techniques are also something that you can practice in every day life. This will bring benifit in work, social, relationship, and in family situations.

11. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Welcome to MAP! :)