Hi there, from Leeds in the UK

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Taisabaki, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Taisabaki

Taisabaki New Member

Hi there, new to MAP but have been training in martial arts since 1980.

I originally studied in a Wado Ryu variant called Tai Sabaki Do (set up by our Sensei Ben Warren in the 1970's) primarily a self defence art as the name implies. He took the orginal Wado kata's and self defenced them up emphasizing tai sabaki avoidences. We did a full range of basic kicks, punches and blocks (guards I suppose as we never used stength to block a strike). I attained Shodan in 1986 and my 2nd Dan in 1994. As well as this style of karate I've also trained in Shotokan, Wado Ryu and some Judo.

Tai Sabaki Do closed around 2007 due to falling rolls - I haven't really trained since then except that my 10 year daughter just started training at a local Shukokai karate club in Leeds and guess what I started at the same time and am about to take my first formal grading with her. Very hard to go from being one of two senior instructors to a white belt again but humility is good for the soul (or so I'm finding).

I'm also toying with the idea of refounding Tai Sabaki Do - I still have all the basic syllabuses and kata's so who knows.

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Welcome to MAP :)

Mitch

3. Taisabaki

Taisabaki New Member

Thanks Mitch : )

4. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Welcome fellow Loiner! :cool:

5. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

Hi Tai...

Nice to see someone else from Leeds here. I did Wado myself as a kid up in the North-East in the 70's, with Wally Seaton. I looked for it when I moved to Leeds in 1984 but didn't manage to find anything close by.

Two of our club members also trained in Wado for quite a long time until quite recently. Their dojo, I think in Armley, shut down not long ago so they train just in Shorin Ryu with me in Headingley. I suspect that was the last Wado dojo in Leeds itself.

A word of caution about starting teaching again yourself - it ain't getting easier to pay the rent! There are so many arts to choose from now that I think many clubs find it difficult to maintain membership at a reasonable level.

Good to make your acquiantance anyway.

Mike

6. Taisabaki

Taisabaki New Member

Hi Mike, I think with our club (which was at Holt Park by the way) it was a combination of total lack of marketing ourselves to new members and a bit of burnout - I'd been training predominantly in one style for 25 plus years as had other instructors. Historically we'd always gotten through periods of lower membership but I think ultimately it had had its time in that location in that form.

7. Mike Flanagan

Sorry, only just noticed your reply...

I too find it tough to get enough people through the door. Nowadays there seem to be so many arts to choose from, most of which have swankier colour belts etc. etc. If it weren't for my small hardcore of students I think I'd reconsider the sense in teaching.

Mike

8. karateronin

karateronin New Member

Hi guys. I know that this is an old post but maybe you can help? I have been contacted by a chap who used to be member of Tai Sabaki Do. His name is Tony Scurrah. Do you know him? He wants to train again. Hope your doing good Mike. Long time no see.

9. Mike Flanagan

Hi Ronin
    As it happens I had Tony on the phone just last week. I applaud his enthusiasm, but sadly our dojo isn't going to be opening any time soon. Let's see how things look in the New Year.

Hope you're doing well too. Take care.

Mike