Hi! New to martial arts and this forum looking for what suits me :p

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Duke, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Duke

Duke New Member

First of all I'd like to say hi to everyone, as I am new to this forum. I'd also like to apologize for the generic thread title.

Anyways, as it's the summer time and high school just finished for me I really have nothing to do and I figured why not get a hobby to do over the summertime like martial arts. I've looked up a couple of schools online and have found a lot of schools in my area (most catering to small children.. *sigh*) and I have no idea what kind of art would suit me.

A little about me:

15, going on to 16 in August
    6"2
    185 lbs

I'm looking for a martial art that will:

- Help me develop self discipline (I heard all of them will anyways, but yeah)

- Help me develop inner and outer strength (Same thing)

- Allow me to release all of the tension inside of me (I've been dealing with a lot of things through out the year and I'm not sure how to let out my emotions)

- Keep me physically fit

- I am mostly looking for a striking art with disabling techniques.

The schools/dojos in/near my area offer things like:

Aikido
    Brazilian Jiu Jutsu
    Japanese Jiu Jutsu (any difference between the two?)
    Taekwando
    Kung Fu
    Muay Thai

So what do you guys suggest for a beginner? :cool:

2. french fri25

french fri25 Valued Member

ok well here goes the same answer i always give... go check out all the school around you and see which one you feel most comfortable with. talk to the instructor(s) and the students and try to get a feel for the place. ASK QUESTIONS!

BUT, since you did list the styles available to you and the fact that you were mostly interested in a striking art, would say check out the taekwondo and the muay thai schools. the kung fu school could be for you also, but the term "kung fu" is so widely used that its impossible to tell from just that name; but like i said, it cant hurt to check it out.

3. french fri25

french fri25 Valued Member

ooh and welcome to MAP btw

4. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Are you a competative person in life generally?

5. Duke

Duke New Member

Well, not necessarily, but I'm always up for friendly competition.

6. Moi

What level of contact do you want? Are you happy to get hurt in the interests of progression?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  7. Commander Nitro

Commander Nitro Valued Member

Jiu-jitsu focuses on grappling and specializes in joint locks and chokes. These moves can very quickly and silently disable an opponent.

The differences in the two styles of Jiu-Jitsu are in the practice and application.

Japanese Jujitsu is more in line with the original form of the art. It places importance on standing techniques and self-defense. While Brazilian Jiu Jitsu uses movement and body position to subdue opponents while on the ground with hold downs or locking techniques (ground-game).

Muay Thai is a striking art that uses a clinch technique.

8. Duke

Duke New Member

I don't mind getting hurt at all, in fact, most pain doesn't bother me. I'm looking for any level of contact, as long as it starts off as light and then slowly progressive as I advance.

9. hunnysan

hunnysan Valued Member

Out of your list of schools mentioned, muay thai, tae kwon do, and kung fu are the only one with striking moves in their styles somewhere. So if you would like to narrow it down that way it would be easiest.

BUT i would just go to all of them anyways just to see maybe there might be something you didn't know about another art that you might like once you see it or when you try a class. That's your best bet. :)

10. Seviko

Seviko Enlightened

From what i have read from your post and experienced myself. The art you are looking for is Muay Thai. It will make you fitter than any other martial art i know of..There is much pain involved especially when conditioning your shins...It is all about striking with every body part except the head now. You also learn the clinch which gives you a bit of grabbling work. And above all you will be severly disciplined..I had to bow entering the room, ring, to the instructors..and leaving the room. Cant swear or back talk or any of that...SO Try Muay Thai it fits all your needs.

11. Moi

Another vote for muay thai. The other school & arts MAY be good but it's very rate to find bad muay thai. Just check the gyms fight record

12. alexkam

alexkam New Member

I would suggest trying out the different arts that you are interested in. You wouldn't buy a car without taking it for a test drive.

Most places will let you try 1 class for free or a small fee. This way you will get a taste of what it will be like.

Also you make like an art but not the school, so even after you decide on an art be sure to try out different school (if possible).

Learning an art is an investment in yourself so go with what makes you comfortable and happy.

Alex

13. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Try them all, clubs vary hugely, sometimes more than arts themselves.

But yeah, it does seem like thai would be the best fit for you. Absolutely great art to train in.