Hi Guys

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by B.A. Baracus, Jul 24, 2015.

1. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Wow, how did I miss *this* last week! :eek:

Sir, I have read Dave Hunt's books, and I have read history books, and they're not the same thing. Dave Hunt writes fiction.

You also are writing fiction and you are betraying a gross lack of knowledge when you say that Catholics consider the Theotokos a god to be worshiped. :mad: :bang:

Edit: It's an odd thing to me that one would accept the Nicene Creed but not accept the structure of archbishops and bishops/metropolitans established by the very people who wrote the Creed at exactly the same time that they wrote the Creed. :bang:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  2. B.A. Baracus

B.A. Baracus Valued Member

Dave Hunt's book A woman rides the beast was very well documented and researched... Fiction?

You also are writing fiction and you are betraying a gross lack of knowledge when you say that Catholics consider the Theotokos a god to be worshiped.

Have you ever been to a catholic church service?

Im sorry but if you pray to someone, kneeling at the feet of their "holy" statue... im sorry but mary is not holy only God is holy. Jesus said no one comes to the Father accept through me. He never said: pray to my moma here and she'll come to Me and i'll go to God.

3. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

Sr. I am sorry to inform you but from what I have read of your post, you have been miss informed. Coming from a French Roman Catholic background, having gone to Catholic school for most of my life as well as participating in many services, this does not include my First Communion and all the other ceremonies that I have taken part in. You are wrong.

Anyways. Just wanted to point that out. I don't practice anymore, one thing I have to say about Catholicism is, like a lot of religions, these organisations tend to not tolerate allot of different Philosophies, which in my case does not mesh with my own personal beliefs.

Just to point one thing out about Mr. Hunt. He was an Evangelist (I believe) and was know to have a bit of a hard on for other religions including Catholicism, so maybe a tad bias point of View? I would encourage maybe some more academic materiel like a world religion course or Theology at your local community college if you are actually interested in this subject.

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Dont like to let facts get in the way of an opinion do ya?

5. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

Oh! and Welcome to MAP Baracus.

6. B.A. Baracus

Thanks for the welcome. To bad you didn't join in earlier, wev all been having a jolly time.
    As to my opinions, they are based on what I have read and observed. I may be mistaken in my evaluation of the catholic church, dave hunts book was factual it was not opinion based. I guess he could have made it all up.i didnt check his citations or anything.

Since you are a former catholic let me ask you. when you go to confession and say 10 hail Mary's to rid yourself of sin do you not consider that worship? I mean you think that praising mary will wipe away your sins...

unless I am totally mixed up on that. if so will you please correct my misconceptions?

7. aikiMac

1) Dude, quote tags. Use them.

2) Dave Hunt ignored and denied church history -- as in what the people who assembled the Bible said about the Bible, as in what the people who created the religion said about the religion, as in what the people who hand-copied the Bible for centuries said about the Bible that they were copying.

In the 600s Andrew of Caesarea wrote a commentary on Revelation. He intentionally put into writing the consensus of oral teachings on the book. His commentary is still the standard for the Eastern Church. I genuinely question and doubt whether Dave Hunt could find the Eastern Church even when he read Acts 11:26 ("and they were first called Christians in Antioch." That's Antioch SYRIA, not Antioch California, by the way.

But, no, he never thought of asking what the original Christian Church thought about Revelation for the entire 1800 years before he was born. :rolleyes:

The only reason Dave Hunt had a Bible was because Catholics and Orthodox copied it and preserved it and evangelized the world before his great-great-great-etc granddaddy was born. But rather then accept the religion that they invented and preserved, he chose to invent a new religion of his own, and pass it off as the original. I have a problem with that the same as I have a problem with Scientology.

"The Pope is not infallible -- but I am" mentality.
    "The Pope is not qualified to properly interpret this here NIV Study Bible, but I am." :mad:

3) I am a Baptist Bible study leader turned Eastern Catholic, and my hobby (besides martial arts) has long been religion, so yes, I have been to mass and divine liturgy many times.

8. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

That's digging back a few years. No I don't consider it worship(at least not in a god like fashion). The way I remember it being taught to me is Mary as we all know is the vessel that carried Jesus and in such is recognized for the Immaculate Conception. She is a saint. She is praised just like many others saint in the bible are. Mary is however considered the greatest of all saint, considering her role in the biblical story it's no surprise she get a tad more attention than some of the others.

It can be a very fine line between praise and worship. Honestly their seems to be a lot of disagreement as to what's what in the world of religion which is why their are so many different branches of Christianity. I stopped caring a long time ago and just go about my own business now.

9. aikiMac

You are totally mixed up on that. You're not starting with what Catholics actually believe and do. You're starting with your false idea of what they believe and do.

The Theotokos is not worshipped as a god, and the Hail Marys are not for ridding oneself of sins. One's sins have already been forgiven before one walks away from the priest. What the priest will suggest for you is something to help steer you back on a straighter path. It won't always be Hail Marys.

The practice of confession (aka, reconciliation) is as old as the Christian church itself. The practice was not invented just in the last century. One might consider the role of Levitical priests -- the penitent brought his sacrifices to the priest at the temple, not to God directly on a homemade altar. This influences the context of verses like John 20:23, Matthew 16:19 and 18:18, and James 5:16.

10. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I think you are mixing up two different parts of the TOS. Racism, sexism and homophobia aren't allowed because that is not the values and environment of MAP. It isn't about being family friendly. It is about bigotry not being allowed so that people of different races, religions, relationship preferences, etc feel welcome here to discuss martial arts. Because martial artists come in many different packages. Period.

The parts of the TOS that talk about factors that make it a family friendly atmosphere are separate parts of TOS- because it is a separate issue and part of the TOS.

11. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

I've set food on a Marae, does that make me a heathen?

Beyond the whole not believing in god bit, i mean.

12. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

+1

Very annoying having to figure out who said what and what is an answer.
    In case you just don't know how, feel free to ask.
    But please (learn to) use them!

@aikiMac
    Don't confuse him with facts and researched stuff ;)

13. Hannibal

No...first the All Father demands a sacrifice

14. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Ironically i don't think anyone sacrifices anything to Papa or Rangi.

15. Hannibal

No one technically sacrifices to Odin really...not unless you count a glorious death in battle

16. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Isn't the self the ultimate sacrifice in most religions though?

17. Hannibal

Pretty much

18. B.A. Baracus

Yes and no. The sacrifice of animals was the Abrahamic covenant. Jesus came to fufil the law not destroy it, we are no longer under the old covenant. Jesus shed His blood as the ultimate sacrifice. further sacrifice is no needed.

2. The Holy Roman Catholic Church is not the same as the early orthodox church. The catholic church was started by "saint" Constantine. He was the first roman emperor to convert to Christianity. he made it the state religion but to make it work he integrated many of the pagan practices of that day into the practices of the church. For example he changed the "Sabbath" from Saturday to Sunday to accommodate the sun worshipers. his intentions were good I guess-get the pagans to church- but he really brought in some strange/unbiblical things, most of them are harmless I guess but still...

yes I would appreciate it if someone would explain the quotations system. I can hit the "quote" button on the bottom right hand corner of a post but that just takes me to a separate screen and it wont let me quote more than one post...

19. aikiMac

Not relevant to actual Catholic Church belief regarding the sacrament of confession/reconciliation.

Or not. As my 'ol heathen friend is wont to say, "Don't like to let facts get in the way of an opinion, do ya?" You need to pull up the writings of the Church Fathers before there even was a New Testament canon. You can often find their stuff in public libraries near the 220s (Dewey Decimal System). Find out what they said about the start of the new religion "Christianity."

Dude, seriously -- you're not even trying. I've done this too long to play with people who aren't even trying. You know full well this shift occurred in the Book of Acts and that the Apostles were behind it.

At the front end of a quote type this without the spaces >>> [ q u o t e ]

At the back end type this without the spaces >>> [ / q u o t e ]

Caps or lowercase, it doesn't matter.

20. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

What if I just enjoy tearing out the hearts of my enemies? A guy's gotta have a hobby.

[​IMG]