hey

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by LeeGreg89, Dec 16, 2003.

1. LeeGreg89

LeeGreg89 Valued Member

i was wondering if you guys can tell me steps on how to do a hook kick cause im really lose thank you

2. Disciple

Disciple New Member

umm easiest way to explain. goto Flamingo( on one leg with secon leg raised) have your foot go out, when it reaches full extenstion swing it, with your heel leading, toward the target, retracting your leg back at contact (or blowing through with leg out). There are many types and applications. but I have given the two most basic.

3. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

How to perform a Hook Kick ....

Hook kick is designed to be a deceptive sort of kick. It looks a lot like a missplaced side kick that is pulled back at the last instant to allow the heel to make contact. Primarily a head kick, it is quite spectacular when it lands and the turning and spinning variations are very powerful. Like yjr side kick, a hook kick requires alot of flexibility and is one of the most difficult kicks to do well.

In fighting position with your left foot forward (kicking with your right leg):

Rotate your shoulders and hips counter-clockwise while bringing your right knee forward and up toward your chest as high as your target.

Continue to rotate 90 degrees more counter-clockwise so that your right side is facing your target. Your knee should be chambered at the appropriate height, and your toes should be pulled slightly back rather than pointing forward.

Extend your kicking leg in a straight line just to the left of your target. Then, just as you fully extend your leg, pull the foot back as quickly and as powerfully as you possibly can, driving the heel or ball of the foot back through your target.

As soon as your kick has passed through your target, snap it back (retract it) as quickly as possible, returning to your original position at the beginning of the kick (fighting position with your left foot forward).

To kick with your left leg, switch into fighting stance with the right foot forward and follow the same procedure. Your shoulders and hips rotate clockwise for stretching your left leg rather than counter-clockwise.

Option:

Like side kick, hook kick can be performed without the extra 90 degree rotation at the beginning of step two. This extra rotation is for kicking at a target that is directly in front of you. But a hook kick can be used for targets positioned off to the left or right side of the kicker by simply raising the kicking leg to front snap kick chambered position in step one.

Some things to remember:

Be sure to rotate your shoulders and hips fully in order to achieve the proper chambered position in step two. Make sure that you are properly positioned with your lead hip pointed toward the target.

Once again, be sure to bring your knee up to the appropriate height for the target you are aiming for.

Watch out for a hook kick that looks like a high, semi-diagonal front snap kick that is pulled back at the end, or a "snappy" bent-knee reverse crescent kick. Beginning TKD students with poor flexibility tend to throw their hook kick this way. Working on getting your hip over as much as possible and increasing overall hip flexibility will improve your technique while increasing speed and power.

Welcome to MAP LeeGreg89 ... stop in to "TKD Check In" thread and introduce yourself!

4. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

Doesn't your school teach it?

5. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

That was my question. But there is a post somewhere on here that a lot of people talked about that. See if you can find it, Im sure it was great.

6. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

... so instead of explaining I should have just said ask your teacher huh?

Who knows why Lee is "lost" ... maybe his school or style doesn't teach the "hook" ... probably reading the thread Hook Kicks didn't offer obviously the long and drawn out explanation I provided.;)

7. LeeGreg89

LeeGreg89 Valued Member

yeah this is true that dont't teach me hook kicks in the school i dont know why

8. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

While we're on hook kicks, how do you work that muscle in the back of your leg? I can't seem to find a workout for it. :(

PL

9. chipotle

chipotle New Member

If you mean the hamstring then squats and any type of deadlift will strenghthen it. If you want to target it then stiff/straight leg deadlifts are excellent for this area, leg curls will also do but watch your knees.

Pete G

10. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

Wha? Squats strengthen your quads, not your hams. At least, I've only felt anything in my quads.

PL

11. chipotle

chipotle New Member

Squats will help strenghthen all your leg muscles even the calves are used as stablilizers as well as the lower back. Yes they are done primarily as a quad exercise but as with all compound exercises they benefit more than one particular muscle.

Pete G

12. Disciple

Disciple New Member

Hamstring curls, used with leg extensioning. they are probally found in and gym, though all it really is, lay on your stomach and put weights on you ankles and pull them up so your fett come to your lower back/ bottom end. you should have your legs hang off a bench while you are on your stomach.