Hey!

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by TeKnoMonK, Mar 10, 2015.

1. TeKnoMonK

TeKnoMonK New Member

Hey!

I'm Zach, from the Vancouver, BC area. I just started training again after an all too long hiatus; so I'm pretty stoked about that. I train Hap Do Sool. Currently I have my Orange belt (3rd belt) and I don't plan on letting life get in the way again until I have my Black belt!

Outside of martial arts I'm a pretty big computer/gaming nerd :p

I look forward to chatting with you all!

2. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Welcome! For those of us who practice other arts, what does an orange belt mean? Is that beginner, intermediate, or advanced? Wherever you are at, the important thing is you are back training. But just curious. People say belt levels, but belt levels can be so different in different schools, styles, etc.

3. TeKnoMonK

TeKnoMonK New Member

Thanks!

Orange is still beginner just before intermediate. In HDS there are 9 belts from White to Black. So 3/9.

Yeah, it's honestly a great relief to be training again.

4. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Welcome to the MAPness! :)

5. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

In ****o-Ryu and Kobudo, orange is the first level above white. Beginner-ish. :hat:

6. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

My best advice is to not be afraid to start over. If you hang on to what you think you used to know from Orange belt, you may get frustrated and quit. That's happened to me more times than I care to admit.

The best thing I ever did for my training was to abandon the thought of having any experience and truly start as a beginner. I did that with my current style, and actually stuck with it.

I left Hap Do Sool as a Green belt, but I'd expect to start over from white if I ever took up that style again.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  7. TeKnoMonK

TeKnoMonK New Member

Yeah, that's more or less what I'm doing. We were doing Ja Seis last class and for the majority of that I was just working on my white and yellow Ja Seis.