Hey I got into a fight on Sunday

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Taiji_Lou, Sep 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Was he a sheepdog?

2. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

Weird, I was actually thinking about posting something today asking if anyone's heard from Moi lately. Hope he's doing okay.

3. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Especially since I already pointed out what he did could be considered a Class 1 misdemeanor under VA law.

4. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I can't remember if you're a LEO Kuma?

edit: Nevermind. Amazing thing the "view profile" button :rolleyes:

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

How about how people like there coffee?

6. sbmumford

sbmumford Valued Member

Thinking about this...
    I can't know if Lou's story is true or not. But say we take it at face value. The differences in Lou's versions of the story don't indicate much to me one way or the other. He's not a professional writer, after all. Maybe he took it for granted that we would understand that the other guy actually threw the first punch, or was clearly in his face enough to warrant a preemptive strike. Or maybe it wasn't that clear cut, but after years of being the victim, Lou's rage blinded him to the finer points of MA SD etiquette.
    But he was, in either of these cases, being singled out and picked on (unless you think he actually went after the guy for an offhand remark).

How many of us started MAs because we felt weak and picked on?
    How many fantasized about getting even with the bullies?

Fights happen all the time, and mostly don't lead to serious injuries (OK, I don't have the statistics for this, just my sense, off the cuff!)

If we were to give Lou the benefit of the doubt, he got mad at a jerk who was baiting him, and gave him a quick drubbing.

I say Bravo! Plenty of great karate masters were renowned for overly-quick fists in their early years. They got wiser as they matured. Maybe Lou will, too. Better to have this experience early than never. I think it makes it easier to walk away next time, when you know what you can do.

If Lou's making the whole thing up, then he's got my pity.

7. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

Nah, he Chun Flailed them... BIG difference ;):banana:

8. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

I was about to say I doubt the bloke could even feel it in the morning but that would be a silly comment because he doesn't exist

9. robin101

robin101 Working the always shift.

10. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

So here's the scoop:

Apparently after Lou left, the fellow who was mouthing off to him got a lot of sympathy. Apparently one of the bartenders knows the victim very well and saw the whole assault take place, as well as (according to my friend's ex) a few other bartenders and patrons. They're all on his side saying the action was unprovoked, they don't know what words were exchanged originally but all claim Lou struck first. They're also pretty upset as apparently the guy is terminally ill.

Now here's where it gets interesting. Apparently that fellow wasn't going to do anything about it at the time, but after my friend contacted his ex, she apparently told him about this thread and he got onto MAP and saw Lou bragging about it. According to my buddy's ex, he's now filing a report with the Norfolk PD. Apparently they have surveillance that backs up his claims, as well as Lou's name due to him using a card there before (not sure if same night, but they got it somehow).

Taiji_Lou - I'd try to apologize to that fellow publicly. Right now he's pretty irate and an M1 assault charge can be pretty serious, enough so that it would be a hindrance to any future job applications you have. That's all he's looking for right now, I'd go and give it a try at least.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  11. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

So Wing Chun works well when punching terminally ill people in the back of the head without any physical provocation?

Uncool. I can see why the guy would be irate after reading through this thread. I'd be surprised if Lou walked away from this one unscathed.

12. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Terminally ill or not, I believe that the guy mouthed off to Lou first. This doesn't excuse Lou striking the guy first, but you have to expect getting smacked upside the head if you start mouthing off to someone for no reason. In some states, Lou would be totally justified for his actions if this guy said certain things (like I am going to kick your...) and Lou felt the threat of immediate physical violence toward him.

13. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

To be fair, we've only heard one side of the story here. From their accounts though, the fellow just covered himself up after the first one and Lou kept punching him despite the man not trying to fight back.

14. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

Wouldn't Lou's accounting of the story mean we've now heard both sides of the story?

15. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I haven't heard what words the other fellow said, so we just have Lou's account of what was said. Apparently though he's a frequent customer and has never caused trouble before.

16. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

this thread has spiraled out of control and should be locked and sealed. We are all getting nowhere with this fake story/ boast/ hoax, whatever it may be.

17. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Actually, ShadowHawk, once you catch up you're bound to find it quite more interesting.

18. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

The bottom line is that you do need to be very careful and you should know the law in the state you live or travel through. Here is a really good article to read on the subject:

http://www.ittendojo.org/articles/general-4.htm

It starts with this:

Anthony Ervin was a career criminal. He was arrested eight times on assorted robbery, weapons, and assault charges between 1987 and 1996. On October 8, 1996, he acosted Courtney Beswick, a blind man who must have seemed like an easy target. After Ervin’s demands for money were repeatedly refused, he attacked Beswick. Beswick, a long time practitioner of martial arts, threw his assailant over his shoulder, onto the pavement. The fall broke Ervin’s neck, and he subsequently died.

Having survived this terrifying ordeal, Beswick still faced the possibility of criminal and civil charges. In this case, however, the police and estate of the deceased decided not to file charges against Beswick, since he clearly acted in self-defense.

But this outcome is hardly the rule in the United States. In fact, a recent law review article indicates that a disturbing trend toward targeting martial arts practitioners is emerging in the field of tort law.

With this in mind, it seems that the modern martial artist must have at least a rudimentary understanding of the applicable law if he ever hopes, or fears, that his training may be called upon outside the dôjô.

God forbid this guy dies from a brain hemorrhage. This thread would be sufficient evidence to cause many problems for the OP.

19. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

Poor guy. Got Jack Russell'd for having a bad day. That's rough.

20. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Thank you Megalith.

Seriously. Who the hell gets the idea that beating on someone for a verbal disagreement warrants anything other than an assault charge and social status as the local douchebag...?

If he started it first, fine. If he was vastly bigger and stronger than you were and was threatening you and you were not in a position where you could simply leave the room, fine. This was none of these. He chose to beat on someone for WORDS.

Fail. Did someone say this guy is a nurse? I would not be happy being cared for by someone like this if I'd just had major surgery. What happens when I'm lying half conscious with a major wound sewn up and he decides that my lack of reactivity is an affront to HIS EGO...

Fail. Vomit. Nothing noble about this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.