Hero

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Shortfuse, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

whats this movie about? sounds good

2. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

It's about a local sheriff who killed the assassins who threatened the King, and the King invites him to the palace to reward him. Which is like saynig Star Wars is about a farm boy who learns to fly a space ship.

Just go see it. it is beautiful. Even more so if you prefer weapons fighting over empty hand.

3. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

seems so terribly intresting, cant wait to see it! i just love to see chinese martial arts

4. PsiCop

PsiCop Antonio gets the women...

i saw the commercial for it. quentin tarantino is awesome and this movie looks to be an epic martial arts classic. comes out in a couple weeks... im definitely there.

5. Paratus

Paratus aka Mr. Rue

Tarantino didn't make the movie, they just slapped his name on it so that Western auidences would see it. The companies wouldn't pick it up for distribution otherwsie because they didn't think it could generate the same commercial value on it's own, if it didn't have a well known Western director coupled with it.

6. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I hate how Tarantino does that to movies. He gets his production company to distribute it but makes it out that he was a part of it somehow.
    For example in one of my all time favourite movies "Chungking Express" Directed by Wong Kar Wai.

He will call it - a Rolling Thunder Productions. A Tarantino Film, Directed by Wong Kar Wai.

About Hero -

I thought it was beautiful to look at, but it attempted to be overly artistic with some of the choreography.
    The Director Zhang Yimau usually does drama movies with (extremely hot actress) Gong Li, he even did Zhang Zhiyi's first movie (Road Home), so tio some people it may seem very long winded.
    He got a new movie out soon called House of Flying Daggers

7. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

Who's Tarantino?

i would see it whether it had denzel washington as the main character or jet li

8. Mushroom

Quentin Tarantino - Director - Reservior Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill

9. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

Tarantino has a genuine love for Kung Fu movies, and I, for one, am glad he is making it possible for me to see this in a theatre.

10. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

Even though I have a collector's edition DVD, I will still go to the theater to see this...

11. Mo Lung

Mo Lung Hard work!

Me too! ;)

12. Togakure

Togakure New Member

Well if Tarantino was the only person who would pick it up and let the west see it, then he has every right to slap his name on it.

Like somone else said here, im glad Tarantino brings such good quality films into mass distribution, if he didnt use his name, then it wouldnt of happend.

What is the problem?

13. shaolin_hendrix

shaolin_hendrix Hooray for Zoidberg!

I own the chinese dvd. Get it at martialartsmart.com. It's about a Qin official who kills a bunch of Zhou rebels who want to assassinate the emporer. However, the story the official tells the emporer on killing the rebels isn't quite true...
    Hero is the best movie ever, has amazing cinematography and swordplay, and is way better than crouching tiger, hidden dragon.

14. Mushroom

Film distribution is more of a bidding situation, unless no one else wants it like Rob Zombie's House of 1000 corpses. Lions Gate Films were to distribute until Rolling Thunder bought it.
    I have nothing against Tarantino's work, as I do think he is quite visually talented and I am not disputing his love of Hong Kong cinema, Kill Bill was his testament to that, like how Matrix was for the Wachowski's love of Anime (well 1 was, the other was money)

I do however disagree with how the product has been distributed as part of his own as he is more or less taking credit for someone else's work.
    Distributors only slap on the logo of their company, Tarantino however would put down his company name, claim it a Tarantino Film (where it should be credited as the Director of the movie) and place an introduction and afterword, making a movie which he had no part of as much of HIS as possible.
    (please excuse the rant, I've had someone take credit for my work and its not nice. I gather other people wouldnt like it either.)

Enjoy the film!
    PS There is another Hong Kong film called Hero starring Takeshi Kaneshiro (The Returner), Yeun Wah and Yuen Biao. Very good movie, lots of MAist code of ethics and such and good choreo.

15. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

Hero was truly a great film. I'll be the first to admit I dislike wire work immensely. However, the beauty of this film along with the plot & acting more than made up for the defiance of gravity. It's not a bad "date movie" either. It is unfortunate that western audiences had to wait so long to see this on the big screen.

16. DexterTCN

DexterTCN New Member

Yes but if you put 'foreign language kung fu film' on the poster it makes £5 million. If you put 'Tarantino' it makes £50 million.

Apart from that, watched it tonight: wonderful photography, decent story and the best wire-frame I have ever seen. Excellent use of colour and music.

Of course parallels will be made with CTHD, but deservedly so.

17. chungmoomonkey

chungmoomonkey Just a few more months...

but isnt Jet Li in i isnt that enough to get it picked up or am i being ignorant

18. DexterTCN

DexterTCN New Member

How many foreign language Jet Li films have you seen?

19. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

thats true.i havent seen one FL jet li film before,even though they are intresting sometimes they are hard to find

20. Dr NinjaBellydance

Dr NinjaBellydance What is your pleasure sir

My friend is going to Hong Kong next week and is going to bring me back lots of lovely Jet Li DVD's! :love: :D
    Although I'll probably have to get her to translate them for me as well.... :rolleyes: