Hero -Quentin Tarrintino

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by eudobex, Apr 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eudobex

eudobex New Member

Is it just me or is this film hard to grasp. The hole flying around bit, and changing colours. And why is it that even though 'hero' doesn't even touch the king they still kill him, yeah he does plan to kill him but he walks away.

2. davethekodiak

davethekodiak Valued Member

QT is a NUT!!!

3. MDN

MDN Banned Banned

The hole flying around bit

That is just the style of action they use. I find that it adds to the mythology of kung fu.

why is it that even though 'hero' doesn't even touch the king they still kill him, yeah he does plan to kill him but he walks away.

They explain that at the end:
    He conspired to kill You Majesty. Show now mercy. This is the law of Qin. To conquer all under Heaven. the law must be enforced. Set an example for all the world.

The idea of the movie (or what I got from it) is that peace can only be achieved if no one fights or if there is one ruler.

4. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

Film was not made by Quentin Tarantino it was "Presented by" i.e. he was not involved in making it at all but just liked it and brought it to American Cinema's. As for why the Emperor kills him its kind of the whole point of the film so maybe you should have added spoiler to the title of your thread...

Anyway, its been a long time since Ive seen the film so Im sure someone else can do a better job explaining it but roughly if I remember corrrectly it turns out from his discussion with the emperor that he discovers that the emperor does not want to perform his ruthless acts but they are necessary for the unity of the kingdom to be maintained. Jet Li realises at the end that the emperor is not his enemy but is actually a very unhappy man because he carries the weight of the kingdom on his shoulders and so does not kill him unfortunately the emperor does not have that luxury of doing what he personally wants and so he has to allow Jet Li to be killed as he was going to assasinate him.

As for the coulours I think its mainly an aesthetic thing but its also so that the different versions recollected by the various characters are differentiated afterall they are essentially the same events with the same people so it could get confusing without some visual cue.

Lastly, the flying around and jumping business is just to do with romantic Chinese Kung Fu films. Such powers some believe are possible to attain and tales of people flying around and such are often found in old texts so yeah basically its a bit to do with Chinese culture and quite a lot to do with the old legacy of Kung Fu films...

5. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Please keep in mind, this is a propaganda piece! The Hero's death is a symbolic unifocation of the nations under the rule of Qin.

And for the record, QT only brought the film to the states, he had nothing to do with it! Which is why I own the Chinese version, not one mention of his name...

The colours are for each version of each story. It's a way of distinguishing who's telling what to whom.

The flying around? Wuxia. That's the genre. It's been done for decades in Chinese martial arts cinema. The Americans do gunfights, the Chinese do Wuxia.

6. Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog www.myspace.com/elhig

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.