Here's where I draw the Line! Enough of this!

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Labatt, Jun 20, 2003.

1. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Hmmm, I think I confused you and me a little.

I meant that because TMA are unique that is what brought around such varyation in other MA. Man continual search for better solutions, examining varying ranges and "uniquness" has led to much more complete MA being developed.

Quite simply we wouldn't have one without the other.

2. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Thank you!

And for Greece.... grumble, grumble, grumble.

Busy this morning but will eventually write a report.

The Korean demonstration team was amazing. In particular 3 on 1 free sparring with hands tied/handcuffed was amazing!!

I have video I'm trying to put into clips! Bloody laptop!

3. stump

stump Supersub

Hi Tosh,

my point is that arts should do what works best....who cares where the technique/training method/etc is from? Trad MAs seem more interested in their uniqueness than their effectiveness. Sometimes different isnt always better...when it is though it's called evolution!!!!

4. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Unfortunatly, MA are like anti-bodies! Hold on to your analogy hats Bat-Fans .....We keep developing new MA to combat the situations we are more likely to encouter but man, the virus, can always find a weakness!

It's therefore inevietable that there will be diversity otherwise we woudln't develop.

Anyways let's stop taking this thread off track. If you want to continue the discussion point us in the direction of a relevant thread... if none start one!

5. Helm

Helm New Member

God damn.
    My TKD teacher quit TKD on monday :(
    Now i basically have no TKD teacher.... :( He didnt say why he quit, but he was talking to me a while ago about how people we'rnt dedicated enough to the training (he teaches because he loves TKD, and makes no money off it), apart from me and my brother there are only a handful of other dedicated people in my club.
    Hes been training for 28 years and is nearly 50 now (although can still easily kick over headheight and do full splits), hes just had enough.
    Someone else in the club has offered to take over the training, but i dont think i have enough respect for this person whos only been training a little while longer than me, and i feel cant teach me anything.

This sucks so much, i dont want my tkd training to goto waste. :(

And likewise i dont really want to start a new thread about this.

6. Artikon

Artikon Advertise here ask me how

Helm why don't you ask him if he'll teach you out of his basement then. If he loves teaching, he may just take you up on it.

7. Helm

Helm New Member

Yeah i am. Gonna see if he wants to teach just a few of us a few times a week..

8. Labatt

Labatt New Member

Helm. Sorry about that bud.

Im sure your teacher will continue to teach a dedicated student like you.

Im going to train on my own, and train in gymnastic gym's from now. I have no teacher to teach me.

And I don't want to squaller my talent and ability. As I have said before I wan't to reach my full potential.

I hope it works out for all of us in the end.

9. Helm

Helm New Member

Cheers dudes.
    The club has been taken over by a senior student, and its now called "Fighting Fit Taekwondo".

Oh the humanity. I can see he'll have us all wearing lycra soon...

I can only see my Tkd training going downhill now....=(

10. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

LYCRA :eek: .... so who looks better in their lycra shorts.... Helm or Yoda??? ;) :D

...well, look guys, the both of you (Helm and Labatt)
    "where there is a will, there's a way".... seem's to me if you have the desire to train you should be able to find a way to do so... leave no stone unturned.
    Don't exhaust yourselves complaining and channel your energies to finding a reputable club and don't lose track of your goals .... for once you do.....

... you may find yourself in lycra!:D

11. darlph

darlph New Member

Lycra! Cute. No thanks, the guys wearing the lycra shorts on bicycles here all seem to buy them one size too small and when the sun hits them, oh the wonderful skin we see along the beach roads.
    I a gree with Kick Chick if you have the will, you will find a way. Even if for the moment you have make your own schedule and do it on your own. Now that's the real test of being dedicated to your craft.
    Good training to you.

12. Helm

Helm New Member

Well the first lesson is tonight.
    Guess me my bro and a friend who are all 2nd dans will have to train each other, as well as many other people.
    Its also a 14 mile drive to get there. Man, someone is testing me.

13. Helm

Helm New Member

Well i went.......

And it was pretty wang. I wasnt impressed at all. The guy who runs it is OK, but sometimes very arrogant. Hes moved towards a subscription based payment system and upped the cost to £3 from £2.50 for an hours training. And the emphasys seems to be on fitness, we spent 30mins running around and kicking the air, I can do that at home thanks.

But what really annoys me is that the guy who teaches now is kinda slow and prefers certain kicks, for instance he LOVES doing cresent kicks and jump back-kicks.
    He cant do reverse roundhouse-kicks very well at all. So i get the impression that this kick i love so much just wont be tought, instead we were doing reverse cresents when we'd been doing reverse roundhouses for years, as they have a greater reach and much more power.

As arrogant as it sounds theres nothing to keep me there, I spent the first 40 mins feeling very annoyed at being taught pointless techniques by a guy who doesnt have better speed or technique at all to my bro and myself. It also seems the possibility of competitions is out of the window. This guy just cant coach.

I've found out theres a wing chun school about 2 miles from my house so im going to start that i think. And desperately try and find a decent TKD school once more...

14. Peaceful_John

Peaceful_John New Member

I recently found out that a TKD school down the road from my KSW school changed to having eight belts - this way they get more $$$$ from testing fees - wich are insane anyway. I'm not really familiar with TKD so I was wondering how many belts there are supposed to be, and if any other schools that you guys/girls know of are doing this. I think it's a big rip. My instructor charges 45$ monthly fee combined for both me and my brother, testing fees are $25 all the way up to black belt, and all we have to buy as far as equipment is a $30 uniform, some patches, and shin guards. That's it. We have classes 3 days a week and we're aloud to come and watch any of the tests. Oh, and there is a $10 a year WKSA (World Kuk Sool Association) charge.

15. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

Well tkd schools are different as well there most are White, yellow, green, blue, red, black and then there are others that are white, yellow, orange,green,purple, blue, brown, black.
    It just depends on the school/org

16. xplasma

xplasma Banned Banned

Peaceful_John, the price you are paying is a good I go to two dojos and the prices are as follows

GNB/KJJR
    $120/month
    includes: ALL testing including Shodan and above,Genbukan and Kokusai Membership, Seminars about 3 a year, Extra Training in Black Belt Club, and Unlimited Classes about 10 1-hour classes a week, and a private dojo that includes all the pads, weapons, etc. we need, and a judo uniform

BJJ
    $105/month for 3 1.5 hour classes and 1 Aikido 1.5 hour class. ALL Testing fees and equiment. Again a Private Dojo.

This is near NYC where living is much more expensive if this seems a bit steep.

17. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Alright Helm? Any luck in finding the school of your dreams???

Just a suggestion but ever thought about the Dark Side??

I.e. I know a couple of good quality ITF clubs that would be more than happy to accomodate you including a legitamate Master Instructor.

Where in Devon are you based???

If know of the following clubs:

DEVON, EXETER Master P Cultler & Mr P Taverner 4th Dan
    DEVON, MIDDLEMOOR Mr A Smallshaw 3rd Dan
    DEVON, PAIGNTON Mr S Millis 4th Dan
    DEVON, NEWTON ABBOT Mr S Millis
    DEVON, PLYMPTON, Mr K Burnell 3rd Dan

If anything I know you would get some v.good sparring with these guys. Mr Taverner is part of the ITF England team. The impression I got from your previous posts was that of a penchant for sparring but I could be wrong.

Holla for contact details if interested!!

18. Helm

Helm New Member

Cheers tosh mate, but i'd rather either do WTF or something completely different, nothing against ITF.

Im actually in Tavistock, which is more or less central to devon. And i looked at the place where they do wing chun, but its closed down now...

Me and 2 friends went to everywhere that possibly could do martial arts in my town, we found a Ju Jitsu place and a kickboxing place, seems to be more of a karate/kickboxing thing though. Theres also a ITF club there, but its PUMA and i know a few people who used to train there and since puma took over its become a complete mcdojo. They even sell puma t-shirts in the dojo WHILST lessons are going on!

19. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Heh

I've heard nothing but BAD press about PUMA, go figure.

I'd take the time to give Mr Taverner a go though, great guy for destruction!!!!!! Never know you might even get the chance of a Master Lesson for less £££

I've got 2 WTF students who train with me and still WTF, just taught them the patterns and away they go!!!

I think there are less integration probs in the UK for WTF/ITF than in the states.

20. Holgate

Holgate New Member

I'm glad I'm not the only onw who dosen't think much of PUMA. At the present time I train with the TAGB, which is excllent for me getting back into martial arts after a 15 year or so break. and where I occassionally train in Exeter (I'm a member of another local club in Devon) PUMA train straight after my class on a wednesday and they have always come across as being on the disorganised side compared with other organisations I have come across...so glad it's not just me who thinks that :)

On the WTF subject I have heard alot about it and have thought about getting along to a couple of their classes to see the diffrence, at the moment it's just a case of time.

Money wise I get the feeling fellow students in the States are being ripped off something bad by their organisations, I am sure there are cheaper than the TAGB, but for my money (27.50 per month) I can train at any club in the south west, just from my usual club and the exeter club I could train 7 days a week for the one fee)
    I think students in the States need to start to answer back against some of the rip offs, afterall they are in every walk of life wether we like it or not.