Here we go.Give me your views

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Geordie Boy, Dec 10, 2002.

1. Geordie Boy

Geordie Boy New Member

This might open a can of worms.

If someone had the opertunity to begin training martial arts ,but they only had two choices - Muay thai or tangsoo do
    (accepted this is a tae kwon do site).
    Based on the self defence aspects,what arguements would you make for Tang Soo Do over Muay Thai.

2. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

First of all this is Martial arts site... Not specifically TKD site :)
    being a TKDist myself i'll prefer Muay Thai for self defense been there done that is like with me...Tang Soo Do or Tae kwan Do works for longer cause, if there's just 3-4 month i think nothin is better than MT which instills great power n bit of killing instinct...
    MT guys hav very very distinct advantage of conditioning with any other art, they hit hard n it get harder every time.
    -TkdWarrior-

3. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Odd, my opinion is the opposite, MT guys have the disadvantage of conditioning and hence the whole ossification thing. Gimme Tang Soo Do over MT any time.

4. KarateKid1975

KarateKid1975 New Member

Tang Soo Do ;) Ok, I'm a little bias hehehehe

Anyways, I do like the short term self defense you learn in MT, and the kicks/elbows/knees are awsome, but I learned them in TSD. The conditioning is cool in MT, too. But I do have to go with TSD. I like the "mental" training in TSD as well as the physical.

5. Artikon

Artikon Advertise here ask me how

KarateKid makes a good point
    Not being completlely familar with MT self defense and training, I can't comment on that . . . however the mental training KarateKid posted about is great. Good understanding is half the battle. Self Defense is more a state of mind than anything else.
    Can't answer the question though since I don't know much about MT, would be biased answer other wise.

6. Geordie Boy

Geordie Boy New Member

Any one know any good sites, with all the info i'll need on Tang Soo Do.

7. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Go for the Muay Thai - IMHO it will give you much better results much quicker than TSD.

8. johndoch

johndoch upurs

I would say thai because of their way of training. They use some of the best striking tools, should have better conditioning, good sparring, and are probably more used to dealing with aggresive confrontations giving them the mental toughening as well as the physical.

I no little about TSD but it sounds like a hybrid of Northern/Southern Kung-fu and Tae Kwon do can anyone give a brief description of what TSD is about training wise?
    :confused:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2002
  9. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

For short term results, definitely MT, but would you want to do MT long term. If its for long term enjoyment, TSD may be the answer! :)

10. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

ye... i kn ew Yoda's gonna be my side MT is the way :)
    it's been proven time(for me)...

John the basic difference b/w TKD n TSD is that TSD don't do tourneys so they r better in sense of their training, typical TSD class do more locking than typical TKD class
    TKD/TSD vs MT the basic difference is that MT guys hav the Bite which hurts :D normally it takes time to develop that with other arts(CMA/JMA) one thing the more u figth in competition(MT) more better u'll get :D no other tourney provide that kind ;)
    -TkdWarrior-

11. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

PGM MT can be used for long time too, there's an art which meant for Thailand farmers from which MT/kickboxing is derived to check them against willing oppnts...but the prob is how many know that...
    -TkdWarrior-

12. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

TKD, Its hard explain my thoughts on MT in a short paragraph. I am a fan of it. I still practice basic MT & kickboxing techniques even though I train in WC Kung Fu. The MT techniques are very usable and realistic, more so than a lot of MA's.

Maybe the club I trained at put me off, it seemed very sports orientated. Concentrating more on physical conditioning than teaching all round fighting techniques. And it wasn’t a 12 round MT match I wanted to train for.

13. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

<. And it wasn’t a 12 round MT match I wanted to train for.>
    i c here...
    normally ppl want some Intellectual aspects with MA too, may be u r one of those who somewat from deep in ur heart wanted that ??
    u know i never wanted the sipritual/intellectual aspects bounded..
    i think my family provides me nuff(they r just way too much)
    -TkdWarrior-

14. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Well I'm not sure about the spiritual aspects. But I do find Kung Fu more interesting :)

15. KarateKid1975

KarateKid1975 New Member

Geordie Boy wrote:

Any one know any good sites, with all the info i'll need on Tang Soo Do.

I sure can :D How many you want? LOL. I have a boat load of links, but I'll give you the one that covers most TSD links.

http://pages.cthome.net/redtsd/#sect5

This is generally a good site. It has many, many, many links. It also has a message board if you have any questions on TSD. Mr Redfield is a good guy. I never met him in person, but he helped me many times :) He's smart when it comes to TSD ;)

16. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

It depends both on how either system was taught, and the students ability to take in information!

Regardless of system.

17. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

ah that's too diplomatic
    i bet royce would choke all of u :D ;)
    -TkdWarrior-

18. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

I get your joke TKD, but it's absolutely true!

Trust me.

19. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

lol m just spending too much time on KFO :D...
    but still u hav been all over the place with ur other question ...
    -TkdWarrior-

20. KarateKid1975

KarateKid1975 New Member

TkdWarrior wrote:

<ye... i kn ew Yoda's gonna be my side MT is the way :)
    it's been proven time(for me)...>

I do basic Muay Thai, too. So I can relate a little.

<John the basic difference b/w TKD n TSD is that TSD don't do tourneys so they r better in sense of their training, typical TSD class do more locking than typical TKD class>

Something I miss.

<TKD/TSD vs MT the basic difference is that MT guys hav the Bite which hurts :D normally it takes time to develop that with other arts(CMA/JMA) one thing the more u figth in competition(MT) more better u'll get :D no other tourney provide that kind ;)>

Did you ever do a TSD tourny, TKD? Just wondering. Sometimes it's hard core. It's not always full contact, but not much "padding" and it can get intense.

Tang Soo! ;)