Henderson v. Silva

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by mkiv, Nov 19, 2007.

1. mkiv

mkiv Valued Member

Dan Henderson Vs Anderson Silva Announced

Taken from http://mmajunkie.com/2007/11/18/anderson-silva-vs-dan-henderson-set-for-march/

2. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

I do hope beating Anderson Silva is not a requirement for a contract extension in the UFC......

3. Atharel

Atharel Errant

YES.

Boxing striking versus muay thai striking
    greco clinch versus muay thai clinch
    greco/wrestling ground versus BJJ ground

I love different style matchups.

And I think Hendo's going to take this by granite chin letting him get into clinch, where his greco owns silva and he hip-tosses for GnP stoppage.

4. Patrick_baji

Patrick_baji Valued Member

what the hell how come ppl aren't repyling to this thread? THIS IS AWESOME. My money's on Silva, just coz I love those (ex) chutebox fighters.

5. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

My money's on Silva as well - I call TKO from strikes in the 2nd.

6. duderanch182

duderanch182 Bored Thaiboxer

This looks to be an exciting fight and my money is on Silva by a tko in the second or third round.

7. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

fine, just to be contrary and buck public opinion I hope Henderson wins :p

now if this goes as my call in the Serra/Hughes fight did, expect Dan to get injured soon...

8. Sever

Sever Valued Member

If Hendo decides to wrestle rather than stand and throw, he'll probably get the decision. If he trades, he'll probably lose the decision. As great a striker as Silva is, I can't see him knocking Henderson out - no one else has done it and he's fought bigger guys most of his career; I'm not sure Silva can tap him out either
    Whoever wins, I'm sure it's going to be a great fight

9. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

QFT!!! QFT!!!

Don't get me wrong, I hope Dan Henderson wins. He's one of my favorite fighters of all time - just because of personality and stuff.

10. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

Gotta go with Silva on this one. Hendo's been bouncing up and down a lot. I think he needs to just stick to one division and be the greatest in a division instead of being just great in two.

11. sliver

sliver Work In Progress

Hmm, as true as it is he has bounced up and down, he's done rather well in both divisions (both LHW and MW champion in Pride. He even KOed Wanderlei to get the LHW belt). All the same I think he could do very well at 185 in UFC. Other than Anderson Silva, I'm not sure who would conted with him for the next few years at least not while he's still in his fighting prime. Being a Hendo fan, I hope he wins, but either way I can't wait to see this fight, I think it will be a war.

12. sliver

sliver Work In Progress

I'm intersted to hear from the other fans out there, How do you size up the Hendo v. Silva match?

As much as I love Hendo, I'm not sure how he can put together a win in this particular match up. Anderson Silva's striking is sharper, and always highly effective. Silva is at least as good in the clinch as well. The place I could see Hendo having a potential advantage is in his takedown skill, though once the fight goes to the ground, I'm not sure how well he'll be able to control position against Silva (granted, we have not gotten to see so much of Silva's ground game as of late, so this may not play out as I predict here). Henderson is also dropping a fair amount of weight for this match and it's only his second in the octogon. All in all I'd call it a five round war with Silva wining a clear decision. Love to hear other takes on this.

13. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Me and my mates are actually having a heated argument over this right now. And we still cant agree on anything.

I say that although Hendo is dropping lots of weight and has a lot of pressure on him right now (potentially lose both his titles in consecutive(sp?) fights) he may currently pose the biggest threat to Silva...if this goes to the ground.
    I was then reminded of his loss to Rampage in London regarding his wrestling skills.

I want Hendo to win. But if he gets into a boxing match then he's screwed.

14. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

i agree. but something in my heart tells me he's going to lose.

15. sliver

sliver Work In Progress

I really hope Hendo does win this one. If he doesn't inevitably people will be calling for him to retire, and I think he's an entertaining fighter, so I really don't want him out of the scene. All the same, I'm not highly confident he can pull this off against Silva. I wouldn't put money on it anyway.

16. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

It's a great matchup, regardless. Henderson's a tough fight for anyone. The dude's held his own against HW's, for Pete's sake. I think he matches up better in takedowns and top control. As much as he's known for that big right hand, I think Silva's got the edge in striking here. I'm really not sure he's dropping an unusual amount of weight, either, but I still have to wonder how that'll effect his cardio. Something I'll say about him, though, is that even in his losses, he still looks good. He was able to avoid Big Nog's subs for a pretty long time, and I rate Nog above Silva in that department; he was able to slug it out with Wandy in their first fight, and IIRC that match could easily have gone the other way; and finally, against Rampage, who's got insane stores of strength, he was able to keep up with his power for most of the match. There's been a couple of times when you've just got to say, "Hendo, my boy, if you were just five or ten pounds heavier, you might have won". For the first time in a while, he's not going to be outweighed.

Then again, it's hard to bet against Silva. There's a lot of talk that Anderson will be the first one to KO ol' Dan. He's got a lot more variety in his striking, and as I said I think he hits harder. His Thai clinch is devistating, and his guard is a place nobody wants to be. On the other hand, in order to move into the clinch, he's got to get close enough for Henderson to get that bodylock and take things to the mat, and even though he's dangerous from his back, it seems that the only real threat he has from that possition is the triangle. Because of the predictability and what I believe will be Henderson's advantage in raw strength, I'm going to give the Team Quest fighter the advantage on the ground. The only time Dan's seemed at a disadvantage on the ground is when he's on the bottom, and I just don't think that Anderson will be able to get into that possition for a significant period of time.

Another factor is conditioning. While we've never seen Silva come close to gassing, we've also never seen him pulled into the later rounds. If it goes the distance it'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

For me Dan's something of a sentimental favorite. He's been the only guy out of the former Big Two to hold two belts at once, which is an incredible accomplishment. Add to that the fact that he's getting older. I'm not sure if he's crept past his prime yet, but I believe that this may be his last chance to get a win in a championship match. So for those reasons, I hope he wins, just 'cause Silva will be a threat for the next five or six years. If Dan can consistantly get him to the ground, I think he'll be ableto control him enough to ride out a decision. However, every fight starts out on the feet, and if Henderson is stupid enough to try to turn this into a slugfest, I think he'll taste his first career KO, I'd say before the third round. The Spider doesn't get paid by the hour...

:D

17. sliver

sliver Work In Progress

Sigged!

18. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Threads merged :)
    I still think this fight's Hendo's to lose providing he wrestles and doesn't think he's a kickboxer. This is still going to be an awesome fight

19. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

Henderson tends to fight smart and keep the fight where he's in control. It looks like he probably has the advantage over Silva in this one. Decision or ground and pound stoppage for Henderson.

20. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Fuzz... best written prefight analysis I've seen in a long time. Well done. :)