HEMA

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Smitfire, Apr 26, 2022.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Having a go at something completely new to me tomorrow....gonna go and swing swords at a HEMA club!
    They do a variety of classes but the one I can make is late medieval/early renaissance German fencing from the "kunst des fechtens" (art of fencing) .
    Mainly longsword and messer stuff (afaik) but with the odd bit of dagger, wrestling, poleaxe, spear, etc from time to time.
    Been a while since I started something new so getting that buzz of discovery again. :)

Mitch, hewho, David Harrison and 5 others like this.
  2. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

It’s something I’d like to try

3. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

That's awesome, you'll love it I'm sure!

4. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Hope you have a great time!

If I had the time I would love to learn messer.

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Yeah I don't know what to expect really.
    So many names for different swords, different treatises, manuals and sources.
    Just know I've been interested in doing some thing "blade" for years and this club seems pretty cool (they also do catch wrestling, pugilism, Bartitsu, etc)

David Harrison likes this.
  6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

So last night's HEMA class was very interesting.
    We covered messer versus longsword. Looking at how the messer wielder needed to close distance and how the techniques were more "basic" and crude than the longsword stuff in the manuals. As the messer was a more "common man" type of weapon.
    It's funny how habits manifest. We were using the messer to parry the longsword to one side and then closing distance for thrusting and checking with the free hand and I was moving in as I did it. A habit from stick fighting as it was quite a familiar motion/idea.
    However the instructor highlighted how we needed to clear the line and "danger" of the blade and only move in when it was "safe".

Flying Crane and David Harrison like this.
  7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Oh and it took every ounce of my being to stop myself from bowing as I walked in and out of the training hall. Another habit! :)

Mitch likes this.
  8. Dylan9d

Dylan9d Valued Member

I'm thinking of picking HEMA up as well. There is a club near me and I have besides my Silat and Eskrima one night open to do whatever I want so that might be a nice addition.