Helpop My Good Cpmuter :(

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Shortfuse, May 27, 2004.

1. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

my good computer ( the one upstairs) is having problems. i think its a virus but im not sure. what happens is when i start it up it starts normally, then it goes to the screen where you have the option of going to safe mode, normal mode, and so on, and no matter what you choose it goes normally to the screen where it loads XP and with that blue block going by, after that for like a millisecond it flashes a blue screen with various numbers, letters and signs.

WHATS WRONG WITH MY COMPUTER?!?!?! HOW CAN I FIX IT???

i am taking it to someone to fix but i dont know when who or whats going to happen :(
    Thanks

2. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Sounds like BSOD - Blue Screen of Death!

Any ideas of what the numbers, letters and signs say?

3. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

they say alot of zeros and punctuations signs... i cant really see the others quickly enough

4. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Lots of zero's and punctuations signs... hang on, i'll just get out my copy of the "vauge descriptions" handbook and look that one up...

Give us a decent description of the problem. The numbers and letters are Hexidecamal, and even if we could translate it, its not going to give a huge clue to what the problem is.

Any specific program name its affecting? Sounds like a reinstall to me...

5. chungmoomonkey

chungmoomonkey Just a few more months...

They have found......

Follow the white rabbit....

6. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

this is the most in depth description i can give..... i turn on the computer, everything loads fine until i get to the option where i can select either safe mode, safe mode with command prompt, safe mode with networking, start windows up normally, and the option to start windows normally with last saved files. when i click anything other than safe mode, it goes to the normal loading screen for XP and on the 6th time the three block cubes get 7/10's of the way it pauses for a second and it flashes a blue screen. what it flashes ( now that i examined it) is two paragraphs. i definately cant read it but i saw the words "if" and "remove" then what seems to be a bunch of xxxx 's at the bottom. i cant give more info than because it goes too fast for me to read. if i were to click any of the safe mode options llike 100 of the same letter and number sequences flash up and i cant do a thing. then the computer restarts. i cant get much more than this out of it. this is what comes up:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)participation(1)\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\

followed by many differant things each one differant then a .sys or .SYS

7. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

My professional opinion...

Leave it to a professional to take a look at it. It sounds like your system files are corrupted, and thats not anything we can really fix over the net. Especially not without a good description.

Hope you have a copy of the Windows disk and have backed up your data :)

8. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Sounds very much like a corrupt or missing driver. :(

At worst it may need a reinstall of XP.

:)

9. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

so everything on it may be gone? :(

(it did say something about a driver and i saw somewhere the words "not there" or something like that i dont know what a driver is anyway)

grr.. this computer im using is bad enough it has 4 gigabytes of space and loaded with MA videos old kata's forms from variuos styles and all sorts of information for alot of things... which means it has about 100 mbs left :p

im sure it can be fixed hopefully. are you sure the problem wont go away?

10. NRees

NRees Taekwon-Do II Degree

Sounds like ur computer is missing something and its dumping the memory cache, may I just ask why is it coming up with the boot-up options (safe mode etc)?? NOrmally it should boot straight into windows. I suggest you take it to your local PC/Electronics store if you don't know too much about it. They will be able to sort it out hopefully without losing your data, but sometimes its not possible to save your precious data.

Sounds stupid but this is the best way to learn about BACKUPS !!

11. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Yes.

Yes.

12. MiyamotoMusashi

MiyamotoMusashi Valued Member

Have you installed any new hardware lately? Web cam, cd rom, anything?

13. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

The PC Guy may be able to do a 'repair' install of XP.

In fact make sure they try it.

A Repair Install will replace the system files with the files on the XP CD used for the Repair Install. It will leave your applications and settings intact, but Windows updates will need to be reapplied.

It sometimes works. However, most of the time it doesn't. :(

Good Luck. :)

14. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

the computer im on is my back up computer.....but theres only so much you can do with a four gig copmuter :p

i learned that lesson the last time my computer messed up, then i learned a better way ( use two computers) to keep my files... this computer is so bad, i dont do much so i would expect the chances of this one getting a virus to be better.

no i didnt install anything the last things i did with foreign files was to burn a CD for a friend, to save some martial arts pictures for a project( which was the very last thing i did when it crashed) and to download a goju ryu form for my cousin who takes it.

15. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

16. Tika

Tika New Member

SF: Please tell me you partition your hard drive.

17. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

partition?

18. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

C: D: E: etc

Or have you just got C: ?

19. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

theres more....but most if not all are on C

20. Tika

Tika New Member

Shortfuse: if you have to format and reinstall windows (which is a good possibility) have them partition your harddrive. Keep the OS and the programs on C and keep all your data on the D drive. That way, if your computer takes another dive (usually its the program/os part that dies) and you have to wipe your hard drive, you only have to format the C partition and you save all your data.