Help you or not help you?

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by MDN, Jul 9, 2005.

1. MDN

MDN Banned Banned

I've always believed that if you want a handicapped person to gain confidence, that I have to let them do as much as they can on their own. If I see a person in a wheel chair struggling up a hill, I usually don't help them because I want them to reach that goal on their own. I know that I don't like it when people do things for me, so I treat them the same way. Is this a correct attitude?

2. xen

xen insanity by design

why differentiate between an able bodied person and some one with a disability?

if you see some in life struggling with anything, offer a helping hand. If they turn it down that is their choice.

It is the constant differentiantion that upsets people

3. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

depends on the sitch. I hate poking my nose where it doesn't belong, as a general rule of thumb. but I think xenmaster hit the nail on the head.

if it's a sitch that you'd feel you need help in, go for it. otherwise, why treat them differently?

4. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Its not all about what you want them to do.

Disabled people don't want to be treated wth condescendtion of any sort. They want to be treated like you'd treat everyone else, because they are like everyone else.

If you saw an eledery lady struggling with a heavy set of shopping bags, would you apply the same principle to her?

5. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

If you saw someone trying to get up a hill in a wheel chair, you wouldnt help them?

Christ, I think I would want someone to help me if im trying to get up there! Except maybe if I had my sandbag (which means I'd be training ;) ).

6. MDN

MDN Banned Banned

I do treat them like I treat everyone else. I rarely help anyone with anything. lol. Helping people can sometimes undermine their confidence. As for the old lady, yeah, I'd only help her if I didn't think she could do it. I am from the country and have seen some pretty strong old people.

7. Captain Kebab

Captain Kebab New Member

If I see somebody with an obvious disability who is struggling to do something I'll politely offer to help - there's no reason why they should resent it if you are not condescending when you ask, and they can always refuse if they prefer to do whatever it is on their own.

I saw a blind guy waiting to cross a busy road in the city centre the other week. I went up to him and asked if he was okay or would he like me to help him. As it turned out, he accepted the offer gratefully, he could equally have said no.

8. Battle Sword

Battle Sword Valued Member

Help you or not?

Keeping it as simple as possible=
    Treat others as you would like to be treated!
    Would you like to be struggling with groceries while
    others just pass right by and try to ignore the situation?
    What would you want others to do for you in a situation
    like that?
    :)