Help with Taekwondo side kick?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by blackbelt92, Aug 12, 2011.

1. blackbelt92

blackbelt92 Valued Member

I am practicing WTF Taekwondo. I would really like to improve my side kick. I have a couple of questions in regards to this 1)What are some exercises that work very well in learning the correct form of the side kick, and how to kick higher? 2)How to kick side kick fast? Because when I try, it seems to go more of up/chamber, turn, kick, chamber, down. But when I see those who are skilled kick, it seems to go in one fluid motion. 3)Any advice on the double side kick in Koryo? I feel that I do not do it as fast as it should be because I am chambering between each kick and it seems to take too much time...

If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

2. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

one thing that always helped me with speed was practicing low kicks. Its easier to balance and stay controlled.

When it comes to kicking higher something I have had success with is place your leg on a table or countertop. Get youself into the best side kick position possible then, using only your leg strength, keeping it as straight as you can, practice lifting it a few inches off of that surface. You'll be amazed at how hard it is and how quickly you fatigue. Once you can do this easily, coupled with continued stretching you'll be surprised how must less effort goes into each kick.

Lastly the best way to improve a side kick is to throw side kicks every time you get a chance. Speed will come through confidence, comfort and control. The more you do it, the better it will become. Kinda like running. The only real way to get better at running is to run. The only real way to get better at side kicks is to side kick.

How long have you been practicing TKD?

3. blackbelt92

I've been practicing Taekwondo for around 4 years now on/off, however side kick has never been my "best kick". I've always struggled with getting my leg up high. Your advice on practicing low kicks sounds pretty good, I'm going to start today. I've also been holding my side kick up for 30 seconds several times a day, and it has helped me improve.

Thanks for the advice! If anyone has any other advice, I'm here to learn :)

4. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

Of course stretch, stretch & stretch, then stretch some more!
    ;)
    I also would suggest that you lean or hold onto the wall or pole, fellow student etc & kick slowly, going through the motion of prepatory position (chamber) to slowly kicking out to full extension, before placing your leg/foot back on the floor. After you work this several times, then move to doing it without putting your leg/foot down to the floor. in other words, kick out slowly, return to chamber, keep kicking out slowly for as many repetitions as you can.
    Over time it will develop. I would further suggest adding speed later, after you have developed the kick further. Speed while doing it wrong, can hamper proper development IMHO.
    good luck

5. liero

liero Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j1w--TjqVY"]Revolution of Kicking - Side Kick - YouTube[/ame]

Watch this, imitate the guy...do the exercises. Side kick is practise practise practise.

If you want to get it even better work on your leg holds, side splits.

When you do the side kick the most important thing is to turn both your hips and your supporting foot.

And remember, BIG TOE UP LITTLE TOES DOWN

6. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Slow kicks. Slow kicks. Slow kicks. Slow kicks. Slow kicks. Slow kicks. Slow kicks. Slow kicks. Slow kicks. Slow kicks. Slow kicks. Slow kicks. Slow kicks. Slow kicks. Slow kicks. Slow kicks. Slow kicks. Slow kicks. Slow kicks. Slow kicks. Slow kicks. Slow kicks. Slow kicks.

That, and stretching and increasing muscle strength so your nervous system won't freak out.

Also, check out Dans thread on flexibility.

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85373

7. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Are you looking to improve front leg side kick, back leg or both?

Mitch

8. blackbelt92

Everyone who suggested slow kicks, thanks! This method has actually helped me a lot.

Could you please explain what you mean by this? Thanks!

I am looking to improve both. Are there different methods for improving the front leg versus back leg?

Thanks to everyone to answered. Does speed come with practice?

9. liero

liero Valued Member

When you chamber your kick, push your big toe above your small toes, and visaversa.

It helps you shape your foot better for more heel penetration.

It's just something my instructor drills into beginners.

10. Murdog

Murdog Valued Member

I've seen posts for practicing slow kicks. Yes! Exactly! I like to call them concentration kicks. Grab a wall with the opposite hand of the leg your kicking with. And, chamber; then slowly move the leg out--counting 5 seconds; hold a few seconds; then retract, counting 5 seconds...for 10 repetitions, each leg. I like to do Front kicks, Side kicks, and Round kicks. It takes me around 20 minutes to complete. I usually do these at the end of my workout---TOTAL burn, indeed!

11. angry

angry Valued Member

**Ask your instructor for help !!!**

Don't rush your double side kicks in Koryo! Take your time to practice a smooth motion, chambering your leg between kicks. It will speed up as you improving your normal side kick. Poomse aren't a race so practice them at a pace you can perform the techniques with good balance and power.

As for improving your side kicks in general.... work on leg strength, flexability and your balance! Several of the above posts have good tips in them. Make sure you are rotating you supporting leg and hip enough to align your body correctly for the kick.

The last thing... practice until it becomes an automatic motion for you and you don't think about it!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  12. Iam

Iam Valued Member

All good tips as above, I've a slightly contrary one, sorry, called "skimping on khamber" (SOK). (cough).

SOK has a number, well, 4, advantages for Semi-Contact Barring Accidents, or lighter, sparring :

It's faster (no proof)
    It's physically easier
    It's not telegraphed
    It errr ... converts easily into a sort of side axe kick, or, if you can hold the leg up a bit, a flappy flappy tuning kick.

You just might be better following the other posters' advice though :D

13. liero

liero Valued Member

Tips were for poomsae- Form is everything!

14. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Something that's helped me a lot is chair kicking. My side kick still needs plenty of work but this exercise combined wth more reps and slow kicking has helped my technique a lot. Set up a folding chair nearby, then practice throwing your side kicks over it. Each set move a bit closer to the chair. This will really help get your chamber up as well as making sure you return your kick along the same plane.

15. andyjeffries

andyjeffries Valued Member

I don't know if this is a Chang Hon thing, but it feels weird in Kukki-Taekwondo to be doing this. We tend to do all toes up.

16. andyjeffries

I don't know if this is a Chang Hon thing, but it feels weird in Kukki-Taekwondo to be doing this. We tend to do all toes up.

17. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

It looks like they call it "bahl nahl" in Korean, but it's more to get the blade of the foot to strike the target rather than the whole foot. Some people love it, some people hate it.

[​IMG]

18. andyjeffries

Not the best angle, but here's a Kukkiwon Side Kick, you can see his little toes angle slightly up in the fourth frame:

[​IMG]

19. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

Yes, kicking over a chair and wall work (slow repetitive kicking while stabilized) are IMO the path to a great side kick. Also it might be helpful to video your side kick from a couple of different angles. I have found that seeing your own mistake in form can be helpful.

20. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

IMO the side kick pictured in your post is not a typical TKD side kick. The extended kick in the picture lacks the more pronounced hip rotation found in most Korean martial arts side kicks.