Help with student's A-level

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Rob T., Apr 10, 2008.

1. Rob T.

Rob T. Valued Member

Hello there ladies and gentlemen,

I would like a little help please. One of my students is doing some assessments for her A-level PE, she is a black belt in Tae Kwon-Do and asked to do this for the assessment. The teachers said sure – no problem and have given her the assignment and it’s a Karate module.

I have a background in Tang Soo Do (Korean Shotokan) so I can teach her the relevant Katas, I just want to check I’m doing the right Kihon with her.

Could you spare a couple of mins to give a short description or link to photos / videos for the following:

Three punch combination - Sanbon tsuki
    Rising block, reverse punch, downward block - Age uke, gyaku tsuki
    Outside block, reverse punch - Soto uke, gyaku tsuki
    Outside block, elbow strike, backfist strike - Soto uke, empi uchi
    Inside block, double punch - Uchi uke, gyaku tsuki
    Knife hand block, front kick, spear hand thrust - Shuto uke, nukite
    Double front kick (changing legs) - Mae ren geri
    Double side kick (same leg) - Yoko ren gen
    Roundhouse kick - Mawashi geri

Thanks,

Rob :)

2. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

To be honest, I'd recommend that your student goes back to her teacher and tells them she does taekwondo, not karate and please could they set her an assignment accordingly.

Tang Soo Do is pretty different from shotokan, despite having the same roots. Not as different as TKD is, but still pretty different! If she really has to do this assignment - send her to the local karate club! I reckon if she explains her situation to the instructor, they might go through all those combos in one lesson. We do that quite often as they're roughly at the green/purple-belt-ish kinda level.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2008
  3. prowla

prowla Valued Member

I think that is a good idea.
    Imagine if your subject was English literature, and your assignment was Don Quixote!

4. TMA

TMA Valued Member

Yeah sounds like the best option is for your student to clarify to her teachers that TKD is different from Karate and perhaps she should give them your contact details for them to consult with you about an appropriate assesment

5. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Another beautiful case of miscommunication and misunderstanding. They've obviously assumed that karate/TKD = same. By the looks of it, that's a yellow belt syllabus too. What katas does she have to know?