help with kicks

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Yojimbo, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Yojimbo

Yojimbo New Member

i was wondering if anyone could give me any tips on jump spin hook kicks like the correct way to land (i always seem to land off balance or on the floor) and when exactly to use it while in a sparring match. i just cant seem to get it right.

2. Falling_link

Falling_link New Member

I would suggest that you ask your instructor - asking for help on internet isnt a 100% good way of getting advice, different people do different things, plus they can't see you doing the kick. Another problem is sometimes descriptions of how to do them is awkward

3. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

No offence but a jump kick in Sparring?
    You risk falling down and you have your back to an opponent at the same time.
    My idea- Good for kata bad for fighting.

4. Yojimbo

Yojimbo New Member

i havent really had any luck with my instructors most of them are still in highschool and it seems they dont take me seriously my head sensei is ony at the school once a week(he owns i think 4 or 5 schools) i thought i would get some help here since ive knoticed many of the members on this site are instructors themselves.

5. flyingblackbelt

flyingblackbelt New Member

first things first, you cant be afraid of falling, if youre afraid of falling youll never get the kick off because youre mind will never let you. Now, when you throw the kick the most imperative part is the stance. Start in a good stance, slightly staggered to begin with because you will have to turn less and make sure youre knees are bent. To practice i would suggest you get the jump spin down before you do the kick. When you jump make sure to either jump straight up or jump in slightly, you never want to jump backwards. Tuck your feet up in a close as you can to your butt, that'll give you more air time and more time to get around. Now heres the most important part to the spin, throw your sholders, if you dont throw your shoulders you wont be able to get around enough or fast enough, through your arms and sholders in the direction of the spin and just land back in the stance without throwing the kick. When you land make sure that you land on the leg that would not be throwing the kick, which would be your front leg, so that you get used to it. Land on your toes and gradually let yourself down to your flat foot and then let your back foot follow. Once you become comfortable with this its simply a matter of throwing the kick at the right time so that i hits your opponent. This kick is a great deal easier then jump spin back kick because you dont have to stop to throw the kick, in fact the momentum will help your power keep going through your target. Now you may be saying that i didnt help you with the kick that much, but the kick is not the difficult part of jump spin hook, its the jump and spin that causes the most trouble. Just remember the best way to get better is to practice more.

6. MandrilBorracho

MandrilBorracho New Member

47ronin, when sparring for competition in Tae Kwon Do (well, at least in my personal experience), hitting your opponent's back does not "score". Also, jumping kicks are worth more points if they land than grounded ones. A jump spin hook kick, then, is a viable, if somewhat risky, option to look good & score great.

7. Yojimbo

Yojimbo New Member

thanks for you insight flyingblackbelt

8. tai-gip

tai-gip New Member

just jump and spin and stick the landing without kicking .. then reapeat with a knee ..repeat .. then an outwards crescent..(remember only move up a difficulty level if you are sticking the landing).. then the snap heel ....tada.......

9. Kof_Andy

Kof_Andy New Member

Spin come in many form, it works jumping straight up, backward, and foward. Is how you use it that works ronnin. I have knock many down with spinkick, and seen many knockdown with jumpspin, is the person that counts. One thing you need to make sure for jump spin kick is that, you are not spinning at all. Is your hip, and leg that give the illusion. Practicing jumping straight up and down, and turn your head as you were ready to kick. Once you feel comfortable with that just do the same thing, but throw your kicks. Make sure your body still in certain line, many people have there head swing entirely around. Thats the #1 most common mistake that stop people from performing a jump spin.
    Private message me if you need more advice on any kind of kicks.