help with kicking please...

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by AArcher91, Nov 23, 2007.

1. AArcher91

AArcher91 New Member

Hello everyone, I'm currently on a weight training routine for increasing overall body mass and strength but I'm trying to begin training my legs for flexibility for training different types of kicks. I have considerably larger thighs/upper legs in ratio to my body and small calves/lower legs. I find kicking very difficult because of it, I was wondering what exercises I should do to help increase flexibility for kicking? Should I stop gaining mass and strength in my legs to do so? Thanks in Advance!

~Archer :cool:

2. Florian Lang

Florian Lang Valued Member

This should be obvious, but if you want your legs to be more flexible... stretch. Strength has nothing to do with flexibility. I know guys who have devastating leg kicks, but can't kick higher than waist level. Similarly, I know guys who can kick me in the head, but do little damage. Strength and flexibility are not related.

3. AArcher91

AArcher91 New Member

Ya, I see, do you know any specialized stretches or a routine of stretches I could do to help with the kicking?

~Archer

4. San Soo blend

San Soo blend New Member

harder kicks?better kicks?stronger kicks?
    im basically a novice in muay thai just 8 months of training. but if you want to kick harder, or want bigger legs or what ever. i recomend deep lunges (stepping forward deep with one leg while the other remains stationary) it looks like a bow stance in kung fu when you do it right. than repeat with the other leg.
    for calves, speed kicks, get on the ball of your foot. with the other leg kick out and pivot on the ball of you foot at the same time, and turn your hips. it almost looks like you're jumping a little bit......those will start to burn bad after a while, keep doing them. repetition is key.
    uhhhhhh, i wanna help you out but its hard to explain this over the internet with out a visual aid. kick with the mid part of your shin, almost never with your foot.
    kick a heavy bag until you cant anymore, than do it again the next day.
    thats the best advice i can give you.
    good luck

5. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

For strength and power in kicks strength training int he form of resistance exercises and plyometrics would help.
    Strength - Pistols, squats, Deadlifts etc

Interestingly, above a certain point your kick is governed entirely by your abdominal muscles so things like Situps, Crunches, Leg Raises, Russian Twists etc. are very beneficial.

And yes, as for flexibilty, just stretch. Stretch, hold without bouncing, repeat on other leg. Stretch morning and evening trying to progress each stretch further. This is good for your whole body, not just your legs.

6. AArcher91

AArcher91 New Member

thanks

Thanks very much for the responses San Soo Blend, and TheCount, I think I will have a good routine startout, my flexibility needs work more than my power at the time though, and I feel need to focus on it. Do normal streches such as touching fingers to toes and such work good flexibility too?

~Archer

Last edited: Nov 29, 2007
  7. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

in my experience you cannot beat burpees & Star jumps( deep squat bum to heels then jump from that position to full of your ability) for deveoping exposive kicking power. but do not neglect strectching both felxabiity and strengh go hand in hand for good kicking. You dont need to be abe to do the spits but a decent level of flexabiity reduces the effort needed to get your leg up hence making kicking easier.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2007
  8. AArcher91

AArcher91 New Member

thanks

Thank you, TheMadhoose, I'll give those a go sometime. They sound like good workouts :)

~Archer

9. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

a long list

If you want better kicks, the number one thing you should do is practice your kicks ad nauseum. Pick a kick and practice it 100 times today, and do that every day. Get someone to critique your form.

Here is a list of fitness things you can do:
    Stretch - yes, touching your toes will help, doing butterflies will help, doing dynamic stretches will help. Just go look up some leg stretches. the best stretches will stretch an entire chain of muscles, so when you touch your toes, you should be trying to stretch hamstrings, glutes, back, shoulders, and arms.

Mobility drills - look them up

Lift weights (specifically big heavy lifts that will develop your legs and core - squats, deadlifts, variations)

Use a biofoam roller (especially if you are lifting weights) - they will help with recovery, and will help keep you from losing flexibility due to lifting weights. They will also help build flexibility and pain tolerance.

Also, those big thighs will HELP you kick more than hinder you, unless they are all fat.

Good technique is the number one thing that will improve your kicks though.

10. Yohan

I just saw that you aren't currently in any martial art. If you want to improve your kicks, get to a MA school as soon as possible. Do not delay and do not practice kicks on your own. Go to a school.

11. Yohan

Additionally, I don't recommend gaining mass if you want to help your kicks. You want lean, strong muscles.

12. AArcher91

AArcher91 New Member

Alright, Thank you very much Yohan, that's great info, answered my questions, and I will join a MA place soon :)

~Archer

13. Spelunker

Spelunker New Member

About 15 years ago I bought a hydraulic stretching machine and it has been a fixture in my living room since. I sit in it every night and watch television. Gotta sit somewhere so I choose the machine instead of the recliner. It has worked wonders. And I'm in the gym hard 5 mornings a week.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2007