help with hook kick

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by grandmaster mat, May 15, 2003.

1. grandmaster mat

grandmaster mat wataaaahhh!!

hello MAPers this is more aimed at ppl who train in tae kwon do but any one can read it!

i need some help with my hook kick, its alrite but its not good enuff, i can do it reallly well with my left leg but not with my right leg, any pointers?

2. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

When I execute a hook kick, I lift my knee up just as in any other kick. I think the only difference is that I try to disguise the hook kick by making it look more like that of a sidekick, adding the hooking motion at the very end. I let the lower part of my leg do all the hooking as opposed to my entire leg.

You can use either a wall of chair to work on it. Lift your kicking knee up and make like a sidekick, adding the hook at the end of your leg:)

Hope yhis is helpful!

3. grandmaster mat

:) thanks m8 ill try that out

4. kchenault

kchenault Valued Member

You should also be making contact with the back of your heel. The kick should be thrown just like a sidekick except without full extension, and off target slightly, to allow for the hook at the end. When the leg snaps out for the sidekick motion, before it reaches full extension, snap the hook! Bam! I have caught a few people on the back of the head who weren't ready for it. Good luck with the kick.

P.S. Make sure that your left leg is as flexible as your right leg. This will affect the execution of your kick.

5. grandmaster mat

thanks will do

6. Labatt

Labatt New Member

I bring rotational power into the mix, right from the get go. If your fast enough, you won't need to fake a side kick. I bring my knee up high and swing powerfuly, and then snap. Makes the kick faster and more powerful.

7. Helm

Helm New Member

Yeah. Ofcourse you need to be flexible, but the best way you can throw it is to just throw it hard and fast. And practise practise practise =)

8. Labatt

Labatt New Member

Exactly.

Hard and Fast is a way to live by.

9. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Ah - the insights of youth :D

Personally I'm approaching death at walking pace :D

10. Helm

Helm New Member

We all die...But not everyone really lives...

11. Labatt

Labatt New Member

When did this thread turn philisophical?

Keep them comming....

12. grandmaster mat

theres not to reason why theres but to do and die!

13. darlph

darlph New Member

I would like to know if your problem is coordination or physical?
    We all have a good and bad side, even though we're supposed to train the bad side more to make it just as good as the other.
    I do a thing called mini splits where you lay on the floor and put the bottoms of your feet together a dn push your bottom towards them for a count of ten and then release the pressure by moving your body forward. These are at a slow count of ten. Also, I like to bend my leg and lay my knee and foot on a counter or something aliitle higher than my waist and work on balancing on the supporting leg and pulling the kicking leg thru the motion and then refolding it to the beginning position. I find my right is tighter than my left so I work it a little more.
    And.... philosphy is like a little treat of wisdom from time to time. Better than pop ups and spam.:)

14. Jazman

Jazman New Member

r u talking about butterfly's but on your back darlph? I never tried them like that, will now! I gotta work on my hook too so thank you from me also guys!

15. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

there are many people who say that they are not able to peform a kick with one leg as good as they can with the other. don't neglect the bad side. because if u end up defending ur life on the street, u can't say to ur enemies ''wait, i can't do the kick with the left leg, but i'll do it with the right one'', RIGHT???? so, practise practise practise.
    when performing a hook kick, of course u should pay attention to the leg doing it, what to do with ur knee, foot, what's the hitting surface etc etc, but please think about the leg u r standing on as well and how u r supposed to turn on that leg, not forgetting ur hips either. it's very important too. visualise it a lil bit. think about it. it's not only about lifting ur leg and hitting. u might do it well, but u might injure urself too, especially if the kick is done with more power. so first u have to understand what the hook kick is all about, how it is supposed to be performed and focus on practising, because if it's not completely clear what u have to do, how will u do it???
    so, read about it, or ask ur instructor or a fellow student to explain it a bit more, show it to u, by doing it part by part, emphasizing everything ur body has to do. it is also very important not to be nervous, don't say ''i can't do it'' etc just loosen up ur body and get the work done.

16. flyingblackbelt

flyingblackbelt New Member

hook kick is basically a side kick to the side of your target then you use your knees to hook your heel through your target. The best advice i can give you is to try and kick yourself in the butt when your hooking your foot through. I wouldnt advise throwing a hook kick off of your back leg, stick to your front and get it fast. If you develop your hook kick properly then start working on your spinning hook kick. Once you get that down good you can take someones head off.