Help with home dojo

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Kurama1234, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Kurama1234

Kurama1234 Valued Member

Just bought 6x6 meters of mat and 2 head protectors, dunno what else I should buy; Focused on Ninjutsu, Jiu-Jitsu and Boxing. Peace.

2. ned

ned Valued Member

Skipping rope , full length mirror , hanging bag ?

3. Kurama1234

Kurama1234 Valued Member

A mirror is too expensive here in Brazil, yes a hanging bag for sure, got the ropes already, anything else?

4. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

First aid kit?

Art specific stuff just ask your teacher, that way what you have at home can reflect your training in class.

5. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Try finding a place which does flat glass and carefully check their dumpsters. We had a place in my hometown which binned enough mirrored glass every week to turn your house into a disco ball.

You just take the pieces which all have the same glass depth, score and break them, then attach them to a backing and add a frame on the outside to cover the sharp edges. Voila. Free big mirror. Just be sure to wear gloves and eye protection.

6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Training partners and pads. What more do you need?

7. Kurama1234

Kurama1234 Valued Member

Well yeah, that's pretty much it. Don't think I can get a mirror anywhere here in my city, it's a small and early 1990~s city.

8. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

mirrors on the ceiling;
    pink champagne on ice

I don't know what'd be involved in setting up a ninjutsu dojo, BJJ - mats, yeah...lots of room or mattresses on the walls...but what you need mostly would be a supply of people willing to roll with you (but hey, you're in Brazil)

Personally, A home training gym ( I'm reckoning as a supplement to your regular gym doings ) makes more sense for those things that one can do at home, by themselves if they are getting professional instruction elsewhere.

Boxing/MT setup seems more logical. BJJ - what can one do to train without a partner? A least with a boxing/striking setup - one could always take down the 68kg MT bag and do some grappling conditioning drills with it. :dunno:

9. Kurama1234

Kurama1234 Valued Member

Could do some body slams and bridge throws with the bag too!
    Don't worry, got plenty of people to roll with here XD
    Actually building this home dojo to get lessons from my ninjutsu teacher since we have no place to train at the moment and train some boxing.

10. Hauk

Hauk Valued Member

I covered my window with builders film from the outside during training sessions. Not as good as a mirror but it's a pretty decent reflection if you're lit up enough.

I suppose it could look a bit suspect though.

11. belltoller

You might just be building the beginnings of the next Nova Uniao - choose wisely ;)

12. belltoller

Best time to look at one's reflection, I say.

13. Kurama1234

Kurama1234 Valued Member

Maybe a BOB dummy?