Help with constructing a diet please?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Bon, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

Hey guys,

I desperately need some help with my diet for bulking up.. simply put, it sucks!

Calories required = 3500/day

Protein required = 226g/day
    Carbs required = 630g/day
    Fats required = 72g/day, 22g (30%) of them being saturated at the MOST.

Water required = 4000 mL/day

1. Breakfest (7:30am) - biggest meal of the day, besides post-workout.

//Shooting for:
    //30g protein
    //75g carbs
    //10g fat

4 eggs scrambled.
    - 28g protein
    - 30g fat (18% saturated, .'. 5g saturated)
    - 404 calories

1 apple
    - 19g carbs
    - 74 calories

4 slices of bread (brown)
    - 52g carbs
    - 345 calories

TOTAL
    28g protein
    30g fat
    71g carbs

823 calories

2. Morning meal (10am)

110g oats
    -17g protein
    -6.8g fat (5% saturated, .'. 1.2g saturated)
    -71g carbs
    -412 calories

600mL milk
    -20g protein
    -29g carbs
    -22g fat (64% saturated, .'. 14g saturated)
    -390 calories

TOTAL
    37g protein
    125g carbs
    31g fat

942 calories

3. Lunch (1pm)

4 slices of bread (brown)
    - 52g carbs
    - 345 calories

140g chicken
    -40g protein
    -10.4g fat (24% saturated, .'. 2.9g saturated)
    -266 calories

TOTAL
    40g protein
    52g carbs
    10.4g fat

611 calories

4. Post workout - extremely important!
    //Shooting for:
    //30g protein
    //100g simple carbs

140g chicken
    -40g protein
    -10.4g fat (24% saturated, .'. 2.9g saturated)
    -266 calories

125g pasta
    -15g protein
    -92g carbs
    -192 calories

1 banana
    -24g carbs
    -93 calories

TOTAL
    55g protein
    10g fat
    116g carbs

551 calories

5. 1 hour after post workout

//Shooting for:
    //70g complex carbs
    //2 glasses milk

110g oats
    -17g protein
    -6.8g fat (5% saturated, .'. 1.2g saturated)
    -71g carbs
    -412 calories

500mL milk
    -17g protein
    -24g carbs
    -18g fat (64% saturated, .'. 12g saturated)

-525 calories

6. Tea

TOTAL

34g protein
    24.8g fat
    95g carbs

937 calories

7. Before bed

500 mL milk
    -17g protein
    -24g carbs
    -18g fat (64% saturated, .'. 12g saturated)
    -325 calories

TOTAL
    17g protein
    24g carbs
    18g fat

325 calories

Any suggestions? I'm low on carbs, over on the fats and waay over on the calories, I think it's 5392 calories! :eek:

2. Jack

Jack Valued Member

Jesus!

Bon, how much do you weigh? The first thing I notice are you have some HUGE meals in the morning (110g oats?!) and then smaller meals lately - thats a no-no for the insulin levels.

3. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

good for glycogen though I suppose.

4. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

Jack,

I'm 81kgs... the huge meals are Ok for insulin levels for the most part because they're complex carbs, not simple... except the post-workout meal where I need the simple stuff!

5. Stalinseviltwin

Stalinseviltwin New Member

Jee, youre prety big, I just eat whatever comes to me, with a protein shake every once in a while, maybe I need a diet...

6. djhallib

djhallib Guest

One thing is that you have WAY too much protein intake (needed 226g per day!!!) Even bodybuilders who just want to grow muscles need only 1.5g of protein per kg of bodyweight, what are you doing to be needing 2.7!!!???

When "bulking up" the most important thig is to have your proteins ready immediatly after workout. The effect greatly decreases as time passes from your training, and after two hours, they are minimal. As soon as you stop lifting, drink a protein shake, the chicken takes much longer to come through. (you have to digest the protein in the chicken in a much lengthier period, most protein shakes provide readily available proteins = much faster)

If you are over on the fats and low on the carbs, you can simply take out some of the fatter foods and put in 1/4l of leppin energy drink (complex carbs, relatively good taste! :)

If you are however the type who doesnt want to use protein shakes and leppin (or simply cannot afford to, they are expensive even if you take only one shake per day) you can eat eggs after workout (faster proteins) and skip them earlier to avoid the fat. Also, unless you REALLY like the yulk, don't eat it. Even if it has more protein, it's not worth it health-wise.

The number 7 is also bad. After dinner, DO NOT eat! This is more important then people realise, your last meal should be no later then 4 hours before you go to bed. A good nights sleep is very important for muscle recovery, and a good nights sleep after a meal is bad. You probably are used to this and its hard to break the habit...but don't do it if you can help it and even if its just milk.

From the number of meals, are you trying to follow a 6-meals per day diet? Keep in mind that in such a diet, no meal should exceed the size of your fist, not including vegetables, fruit and drinks. So you probably need to resize your meals, which is okay since you should really cut down on the proteins anyway.

Also, to say you are 81kg doesnt really tell us that much, you should give us your fat percentage and height also, so we have an idea of your physique. You can probably have both measured at your gym if you have one, or from a doctor.

I hope at least some of this helps, if you have any further questions/comments, don't be afraid to criticize.

7. TKD

TKD New Member

My only suggestion would be to maybe lower your protein intake and raise your fat intake. Perfect equilibrium would be just enough carbs and fat for energy, and little to no excess protein. Your body prefers to use carbs and fats for energy, rather than protein. So, if you could get it down to the point where the body isn't having to use much protein for energy it would be better for you.