Help with a war quote

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by nzric, Aug 7, 2006.

1. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

Hi, I need some help with a quote. I can't remember the exact wording or who said it, but it goes something like:

"the measure of a civilised nation is how it conducts itself during war"

it's in relation to the "rules of war", stuff like the geneva convention (hope someone out there remembers what that is :p) and the dec. of human rights

2. Senban

Senban Banned Banned

3. medi

medi Sadly Passed Away - RIP

Are you sure you're not getting confused with Dostoevsky?

4. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

nah, it's something about a country's actions during war

5. tkdkyle

tkdkyle New Member

6. medi

Why don't you just make one up? Such a statement is no more or less true just because somebody else said it instead of you.

7. Senban

Senban Banned Banned

Medi said:-
    At the end of the day a quote, any quote, is nothing more than an opinion as expressed by one person.

I love quotes - I have some of my favourites on my website - but the problem I have with them is that they can be used to justify virtually any argument. When you see a quote used to justify argument x, it sounds good but you could also use an entirely different but no less valid quote to disprove that same argument.

Quotes are great and can be inspirational but don't see them as something other than they are - the opinion of one person.

8. medi

I agree

9. Senban

Senban Banned Banned

While we are killing time looking for this other quote, how about putting up some of our favourite war-related quotes? Here are two of mine:-

10. medi

11. Senban

Senban Banned Banned

12. Senban

Senban Banned Banned

13. Emil

Emil Valued Member

I'm not sure, but I think it could be either Gorbachev or Khrushchev. Or Sun Tzu? or maybe none of those, although I am leaning towards Khrushchev. :rolleyes:

14. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I'd just read this exact quote somewhere in this last couple of weeks. I could swear that I'd read it in a book though not online... though looking over the titles that I've been in this month I don't think it could've come from there.

Now this is gonna bug me as well. :D

15. Emil

Emil Valued Member

I found this one.........

Not the same one, I know, but I thought I'd post it.

16. jroe52

jroe52 Valued Member

err sounds familiar?

how they treat their animals? ... i heard that before... by ghandi

"The way that we treat animals measure our greatness
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated."

thats what it reminds me of.

17. medi

This is getting confusing

How do we judge the greatness of a nation that has great prisons, acts badly in war and treats its animals pretty averagely?

18. jroe52

jroe52 Valued Member

then that is the answer to your question!