Help using the bo staff in ninjutsu

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by creaturegrl, Jul 1, 2003.

1. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

Tai Kai is Soke's annual visit to the USA and Europe. Stephen Hayes' Shadows of Iga Ninja Festivals (yes, I'm that old!) were the precursor to the current Tai Kais'. There is really nothing wrong with saying bo staff or jo staff. Yes, it is redundant, but harmless. Kina like saying pistol gun. As long as you and I know what we are talking about you could call it a wang doodle stick, and I wouldn't care.

"Is it truly violence if my opponent's head JUST happens to be where the tip of my staff is?"
    Stephen K. Hayes

2. Airyu

Airyu Valued Member

Hello,

Soke Hatsumi produced an excellent Kukishinden ryu rokushakubojutsu video. It should be a mainstay of your fundamental practice. Sensei Tanemura, also produced an early rokushakubojutsu video, which is no longer produced, but is really good. I think I got a copy back in 1993 or so.

For Hanbojutsu - Soke Hatsumi's book Stickfighting is clearly a classic.

Bufu Ikkan

Shidoshi Steve Lefebvre
    www.Bujinkandojo.net

3. jonmusk

jonmusk New Member

Bo books

There seems to be a lot of patronising going on in this thread about the various names of the Bo, so I'm going to get straight to the point and say that I agree with Creaturegrl that it doesn't matter too much what you call it, so long as everyone knows what you're talking about.

I think if you are looking for a book specifically on using the Bo in your specific martial arts style, then I don't really think that is the best thing to do.

Remember that the Bo possibly originates from being the support for carrying water buckets over your shoulders, so at some point it wasn't a weapon at all. Therefore I suggest that the best thing to do if you want to teach yourself a particular weapon isn't to say I'll learn it in my martial arts style, but instead to say that you will try to teach yourself the weapon itself. There are only so many ways that you can hold and use a Bo, so to learn all of them would be the best and most effective goal, not just to learn a handful of methods derived for your specific most practiced art. The more you know about the weapon the better - The other advantage of learnign all different styles of the weapon is you will see the similarities and differences between them and possibly even derrive your own unique style which is the best way to become a master of any weapon. This will lead to you being un-predictive in a fight and possibly being the stronger opponent.

So to teach yourself I suggest buying ANY book on the Bo such as:

Bo, Karate Weapon of Self Defence - by Fumio Demura.

I'd also suggest possibly buying books on the Jo since it was developed from the Bo, as we all know to defeat Musashi Miyamoto and SOME of the same techniques, thoughts behind the movements are the same or similar.

Jo, The Japanese Short Staff - by Dan Zer & Tom Lang

I hope this helps you Creaturegrl and any other person wanting to learn any weapon, not just the Bo.

4. xplasma

xplasma Banned Banned

Rokushaku Bo(6')
    Sanjaku Jo(5')
    Sanjaku Bo(commonly referred as Hanbo) (3')

These are the correct names of the japanese staffs.