Help! PUPS!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Victoria, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

As some of you know we adopted a very nice female staff from our local dog shelter about two and half weeks ago.

We've been joking that she's pregnant due to the oversized nipples and slightly swollen belly she had when we brought her home - we were told she had already had pups so weren't worried.

Her belly has continued to swell and last night appeared 3 times the size it was when we had her(!) so I had a good feel, and damn, there's an entire puppy rugby team in there!!! Her nipples and vag have dropped to the floor so as of last night I'm pretty damn sure she's about to drop. She must be around 8 weeks now. Once her nipples harden I'll be taking a vacation from work to make sure she doesn't 'nest' inside the sofa or something :cry:

I'm ringing the shelter this morning and hoping that they're obligated to help out, since we were assured she wasn't pregnant after their vet checked her over (quite possible the pregnancy wouldn't have been picked up when she first arrived at the shelter if she'd only just been knocked up, she got there in Feb). If I can get her in to see their vet today or ASAP, that'll be a start.

As much as we love puppies, this is a complete nightmare. I have absolutely no idea what we should be doing now, what to do once the puppies drop out, etc...How are we going to contain these things? We don't have the funds right now to purchase much equipment, crate for the pups etc. We're completely unprepared for this.

These puppies are going to drop any day now so if anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated!

:cry:

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Relax.. puppies happen. :)

A few things... first off you don't need much to contain puppies. A good sized cardboard box with a good sized snuggly blanket it in it is good. The sides need to be high enough to contain pups... not hard for newborns as they can barely motor around at that point... but low enough for mom to get into and out of. It's got to be good enough size for her to be able to lay in it on her side to feed them and still have room to move a bit. Take a look at how stretched out she is when she lays on her side... head on floor, hind legs stretched out, forelegs out in front of her... a large box usually does the trick. If one side of the box is too high for her to step into comfortably you can use a kitchen knife and cut down the one side a bit... but not so low that pups can clamber out.

Throw a snuggle blanket in there and your good for part of the task. You'll want to wash that blanket often as you don't want grime or dog pee on it for long periods. As well if she has her puppies in it... then it will have some juice on it you will obviously need to wash off.. again... having two little blankies will help tons. One in the wash or washed and ready to go and one it the box.

On a bonding note... if you really want this dog to be part of your family... when she gives birth those little pups will come out all nubile and with no strength to move themselves and they'll be covered in all sorts of juicy stuff. You'll notice the dog will do a good job of cleaning up the pups... most dogs aren't too aggressive at this point... so you can gently handle the pups... but the best bonding bit is to get down there with her on your hands and knees and lick the pups clean with her! Total bond-O-rama. Help to clean all the juicy stuff and bits off the pups - don't forget to clean their little kiesters. You'll know they're clean enough when the texture on the tongue goes from slimy to slightly wet furry. It's a real bonding process for you and the dog - feel at one with nature. She'll appreciate the help and you get trace amount of proteins and the puppies will be closer to you for it. Just remember to brush you teeth later as it can leave some funky breath.

Hope that helps. It's worked wonders for me over the years I've always been very close to my dogs. .:)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  3. Victoria

My breakfast is about to come back up...

Licking aside, thanks for the reply :D

I've done a lot of googling this morning. It seems for the most part she can take care of herself and there's no need to interfer. I've got a better idea of what to expect, how long the puppies should take to come out etc.

We have a double quilt that's hers but it's not good for the washing machine every day so I'll have to gather other blankets, sheets possibly. We'll hunt for a box later, though she may have already decided where she's going to have the pups already, it better not be the sofa :eek:

Is the birth that messy? Liquid and blood running everywhere?

4. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

Get the pups vaccinated after they are born and you can sell them for over £200 each. Lots of money to be had.

5. Victoria

I'm more concerned about the birth at the moment.

We're not selling them, we'll give them to good homes (or put on a small charge to deter chavs), and keep one ourselves. They're not very likely to be pedigree staffs as she would have been knocked up before/after she was a stray. I dread to imagine what cross they'll be, I'm actually excited to see what comes out!

6. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Don't forget to take some pics. :D

7. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

A small fee will not deter chavs. Dogs like that are considered fashion items and very fashionable to be seen having them type of dogs in the street.

So if you are going to give them away you will be losing out on a lot of money. Of which I would say :bang:

8. Victoria

We don't know what they're going to be yet, as I said it's unlikely they'll be pedigree staffs.

I've rang the shelter, we're off to see their vet in the morning so I'll know more then!

9. Victoria

Lots of pics! I don't think you'll have to wait too long either :eek:

10. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Just as a counterbalance to Slip's way too sympathetic to animals post, can I suggest we combine threads to produce puppy and crisp sandwiches? You'll get more than trace protein that way.

[​IMG]

Not sure which flavour crisps would be best for Staff though...

Mitch

11. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

It does not matter, as long as it has Staff qualities (square head and large shoulders ETC) people will buy them.

12. Victoria

Oh dear :eek: :D

13. Victoria

Ok, I'll think about it for the sake of deterring bad owners. But the price should be reasonable and I don't think £200 is reasonable for a cross breed puppy :rolleyes:

That's the last thing I'm bothered about right now. I have a birth and 6 weeks of puppy care ahead, that's enough stress.

14. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

Up here a cross bred staff dog will go for £100 easy. Now if it's a staff/staff or staff/Alsation then it could bump up the price some more.

BTW, give them to family couples, not single men or young wideboy males. That way you are assured the staff will look after the children if they are of school age.

15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Start trying to get her in a pre-organised "nest".
    If you don't get her used to one now she will decide a spot for herself when the time comes (on your bed, behind the settee, in a pile of washing, behind a hedge etc etc).
    I've never been present at a birth but I understand they are messy. Start collecting newspaper.
    Hopefully she will be a natural mother (make sure you have a vet on call in case she is not) and will sever the umbilical cord by herself and clean the pups up.
    She will probably eat the afterbirth (this is natural).
    Make sure you count all of the pups and match them to the same number of placentas. If one gets left inside it can go bad and kill her.
    If you've had her nearly 8 weeks and she's not been mated in that time then you are right, she will be due soon. Dogs basically gestate for around 8 weeks and then you keep the pups for eight weeks until they go to new homes. No earlier than that as they are still learning at that age.
    If any are born deformed (cleft palettes and the like) then remove them as soon as you can and have the vet put them down. That way yor dog hopefully won't miss them with all the other pups to look after. Dogs with cleft palettes rarely survive as they can't form a good suction around a nipple.

16. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I have a birth and 6 weeks of puppy care ahead, that's enough stress.

8 weeks. You can start having people view them at 6 weeks but don't let them go to new homes until at least 7 weeks. 8 weeks is better.

17. Victoria

Wow, I didn't think about deformed puppies. She's had no special pregnancy care at all since we had no idea she was baking, so I hope they'll be ok!

We've only had her for two and half weeks, but it's been about 8 weeks since she was picked up by the dog shelter. Which makes sense.

Thanks for the input :)

18. Victoria

kk!

19. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Wow, I didn't think about deformed puppies.

Chances are there won't be. But it happens. Something you have to be prepared for just in case. Better to sort it out quick before you and your dog get attached to the new arrivals.

If you have trouble shifting 'em I'll have a bitch puppy. :)
    I'm sure my wife won't mind another dog in our household. :rolleyes:

20. Victoria

I assume you're in the UK then :D You're welcome to come pick one!

I'm just looking at feeding. Should the mother be put onto puppy food? Then at 3/4 weeks start giving the puppies 'puppy mush' until they're on dry food at about 7 weeks?