[help] Poomse learning

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by eRoten, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

bear in mind this isn't optimal. you should aim to learn as WELL as you can, instead of just learning fast. else you'll just be learning meaningless moves, and you won't get better at any of them*

*note: there's no problem with learning extra material, per se, but you seem to be focused on learning advanced material to the exclusion of the basics. learn more advanced patterns if you want, but when you train, train the first one, until your instructor starts to teach you the second one. then train both of them.

2. TaeKwonNoob

TaeKwonNoob Valued Member

And perhaps some further advice; Do the forms as if your actually blocking an attack and if you were to punch someone. This should be obvious, but alot of students in the class just dont get the concept of forms so they never give it their best. To my understanding at least, the purpose is to one; build strength. Our instructor emphasis how "hard" (very broken English so perhaps not the best word to use) we need to do forms. That we should be aching after a few runs through forms. Holding our blocks as hard as possible and punching with all our force. And secondly; Simply, muscle memory. Do these enough and you'll block someone out of instinct with proper strength and technique.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  3. eRoten

eRoten Valued Member

TaekwonNoob -
    I took your advise, it's surtnly seems to help.

FOD - I didn't meant 'thought' (although, that what I written).
    As I note in my introduction topic, I have a slightly problem with English.
    What I meant to write (and I'm sure i'll do that with mistakes) 'tho'.

4. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

TKD forms were 1st referred to as hyungs. However form is not a good way to describe what you are doing. For instance you can be doing say Taeguek #1, but be performing it with bad form. In other words, sloppy or with technical mistakes. So Gen Choi dropped the use of hyung & its English equivalent = forms. He replaced it with Tul (Korean) & pattern (English). When you look at the moves of the 1st Chang Hon or ITF pattern, Chon Ji, it has 19 counts. Those 19 movements or counts start off by going 2 step to your left, then 2 to your right, then 2 to the front, followed by 2 to your rear. This is repeated again, with an added step forward & backward at the end. In essence you have traveled along the floor in a + (plus) sign. What that means is that if you put black paint on the bottom of your feet, you would have footprints that if you connected them, you would have a plus (+) sign drawn. This is what is meant by a pattern, similar to an electrical schematic or a clothes desinger's pattern on paper.
    So a better English term for what you are actually doing is pattern, a sequence of moves like a fllor gymnastics routine, except that is free style, while patterns are fixed in a "set pattern".
    I am not familiar with what poomsae means. Maybe someone so informed can share that info with the reader

5. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

It means the same thing man, A wheel is round in any language freind :)

6. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

Please forgive my ignorance. Are you saying the literal translation of poomsae is pattern?

7. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

8. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

9. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

i think "kwang jang nim" referes more to a specific school where as saeshoongnim is literaly master ( the later is based on watching a korean adaptatiion of Dangerous liasins where some guys servant was calling him master and it was clearly "seashongnim" he was yelling.

10. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

Ok I have found that it has a different interpetation:
    The 1st character for mouth is interpetated as collection of objects or articles, the next part is 2 characters which the 1st means mound of earth work or cultivating & the 2nd meaning strength. Put it together it means:
    articles for cultivating strength