Help please guys!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by tom pain, Jun 29, 2006.

1. tom pain

tom pain I want Chewbacc for good

When I open up the task manager, I can see this process running:

[​IMG]

It calls itself iexplore.exe and as you can see, it takes up a fair chunk of memory.

Does anyone else have this? Or know what it does? It can't be Internet Explorer as there is none open. I was starting to think it may be a Trojan or something:mellow:

And for those who think it may not be a problem, if I end the process it re-starts itself:

[​IMG]

and takes up more than it's fair share of CPU!

Anyone else have experience with it? I'm tempted to get my PC re-booted if it doesn't go away...

2. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Last edited: Jun 29, 2006
  3. gornex

gornex Valued Member

iexplore is internet explorer, you can close it and it won't do anything, execpt close one if you have one open, i dunno why but i always have those running. when ever i close one another opens, i think i have a virus or something lol. But yeah you can close it, but don't get it confused with normal explore, its different then iexplore

4. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

Close all other programs and click on the 'start' button, select the run command and type cmd and click the 'ok' button. In the little black window that comes up type netstat -a and press enter. This will show all current communications taking place and might give you a clue as to what the problem is. You can re run the command by hitting the up arrow and enter.

5. Wali

Wali Valued Member

'iexplore.exe' is the process that is run each time you open a Windows Explorer browser window. If you have 4 windows explorer windows open, you will have 4 instances of the iexplore.exe process showing in Task Manager.

If you right click any of them and select 'End Process', you'll see that the Windows explorer for which that process corresponds, will close.

It is nothing to worry about.

6. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Thats explorer.exe

iexplore.exe is internet explorer.

And it shouldn't be running if you don't have IE open. The fact its reopening when you terminate it is very dodgy.

However, by looking at your screenshot, it appears you have no firewall running (Windows Firewall doesn't count), and windows is not up to date. Also, CCAPP.EXE is either Norton, or spyware. Are you running Norton?

7. tom pain

I'm running Norton. I find it dodgy that it takes up so much memory. :(

8. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I used to run Norton and had the same problem. I switched to AVG Antivirus instead.

What about a firewall, and when was the last time you ran Windows Update?

9. tom pain

Firewall is on. Windoes update...I'm not too sure on the exact date. Anyway to check?

BTW do appreciate the help folks. :)

10. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Last edited: Jul 1, 2006
  11. tom pain

Yep Windows Firewall.

As for the updates history, that option is grayed out. :confused:

12. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

13. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Personally I tried Zonealarm and fuond it to be a rabid memory muncher. Incredible lagger for computer processes, but thats just me.

14. Wali

Wali Valued Member

DOH!! That's what I meant... Internet Explorer, not Windows Explorer. I also keep calling a Citrix Farm a Web Farm!

15. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Web Farm... I think I like that better than Citrix farm :D

ZA is only taking up around 5 megs of memory at the moment on my PC. Firefox is the biggest resource hog I've seen in a long while. Thats taking up 50 megs!

16. Durkhrod Chogori

Durkhrod Chogori Valued Member

Tom,

Here's a good guide for keeping your box safe:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/security

Take your time as this kind of set up requires many hours of learning the basics of Internet security.

Good luck.