Help me Yoda!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Andy Murray, Apr 4, 2003.

1. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Hi Dave,

seeing as you've been good enough to offer free advice to everyone here with your experience as a qualified Fitness Instructor, I'm hoping you might do the same for me.

I'm signed off my physiotherapy now after snapping my achilles tendon, and looking to get back into some semblance of shape.
    I need to construct a practical and effective programme based round my working restrictions and physical limitations.

I'm hoping to start running now, probably starting out with 'Fartlekk' (spelling?).
    I can only potentially get to a gym once a week, so would a low rep heavy weight program be of use, or would it be two steps forward and one back?
    I can do simple exercises in hotel rooms while I work away, so what should I concentrate on.

I'm very strong on 'push' type movements, but terrible on pull. I reckon I can probably bench well above average without training, but I'd be lucky to do one pullup right now (most I ever managed was seven).

My Chiropractor, a MArtist, reckons I should never run again, as I have a damaged disc in my back as well as worn vertebrae. My Physio, a reckons thats rubbish, himself a semi-pro runner.

Any advice would be most welcome thanks.

Andy

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

No problem bud - I'll put together & program for you ASAP.

Fartlek would be pretty useless right now - you need to build up a strong aerobic base 1st & make sure that Achilles Tendon is up to strength before you go putting much stress on it.

I have a routine in mind - when are you next down at our class?

3. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Wednesday 16th April.

I did pop by last night, but I didn't see your car, so I sodded off as I was too tired anyway.

This is the problem though Dave.

How do I test it?
    I've avoided doing anything dynamic.
    Hitting anything with that leg, i.e. pads/bags etc, makes me feel sick, as the ankle still feels weird, and pivoting on the leg is still hard.

All I've been doing is my calf raises religiously, and walking every night, but it's not keeping the weight off as much as I'd like.

Before any sod suggests swimming, I'm about as bouyant as a lump of lead, and I only get from one side of a pool to the other by pushing all the water out.
    Ain't got a bike neither, and I ain't getting one :p

4. Cain

Cain New Member

Hmm, Yoda is sure popular in the and health and fitness forums....maybe we should rename it to Yoda's Health and fitness advice or 'Body by Yoda' :D

BTW, Andy the achilles tendon seems to be more serious that what I expected it to be, just take a helluva lot of care mate n good luck :)

|Cain|

5. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

hmm wat part of body is called Achellies Tendon??? can yea show me a figure??...
    -TkdWarrior-

6. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Anatomy must be your Achellies Hell TkdwARRIOR

:D :D :D

Oh man it must be friday! :p

7. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

lol i didn't get any of that from u Tosh...
    and wat's the deal with friday...

yea well i m not good with anatomy part(only in English) and i m ignorant enuff to look into any book...
    now u mind giving me idea??
    -TkdWarrior-

8. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Dude the answer was in the joke.

It's Friday and I'm nearly out of uni for the next two weeks C'MON!!!!

Heres an idea for you!!

9. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I'd have thought the lower impact resistance workouts would be better and less risky for you.

Like swimming and cycling ;)

Or the rowing machine could be good. And whats the running machine called, the resistance one with pedals. I’ve been using them more lately because of my knees, and it seems to be going well.

10. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Eliptical X-Trainer?? :D

Oh I'm full of knowledge today. Go me!

11. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Can't argue with that Tosh, but whats the earth name? :D

Is it the cross trainer, or is that the one with handles on to work the upper body as well. Its good though, you don't feel like your doing much till you get off and stagger away ;) And with little impact.

12. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Ahhhh X as in cross, I get you now! :)

13. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

We've got one of them in our gym and it elevates too!

Wicked piece of kit! Once you knacker yourself try going backwards!! :D

14. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Yeah I do go backwards a bit, I should try it more. It must help more with kicking type muscles, because you're using those muscles more when you kick mmmmmm hadn't thought of that!