Help Me Write to Sponsors!

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Pretty In Pink, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Doing it now, just wondering how to word it....

3. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Gimme.

I need stuff cos I do stuff

Signed

Chadz.

Knee Rider likes this.
  4. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

My previous spiritual teacher used to say "lean into discomfort."

In other words, I think you might want to rethink that.

It sort of sounds like the people who want to start martial arts AFTER they get in shape.

Build your fan base as soon as possible. Market yourself with the modern media. It will help you get sponsors.

I have watched my friend, who is a writer, use his personal Facebook page to promote his writings. He is no big name author, but he is published. And his self promotion has helped him.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
    Nachi likes this.
  5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I agree.

You can set up a Wordpress (or similar) website free of charge and start to build up a following.

You already have a fight record, so are already on your way.

Something simple, factual, with training schedules, making weight, pre-fight nerves etc make content fairly easy.

Set up some links to places you train, places you buy equipment and so on and the followers will come.

I have the videos of you training at the MAP Meet, so can get them to you.

6. Pretty In Pink

Sorry for the necro, I just thought I should mention that I applied for sponsorship to Maxi-Muscle as suggested by Mushroom. Doing it now as a professional seems a better approach than asking when I was an amateur. I did my best to sell myself if anyone wants to read the e-mail I will gladly send it via private mail. I'd rather not do it publicly because I don't want it to be copy-pasted into google by the guy I sent it to :p

axelb, StooXex, hewho and 2 others like this.
  7. Mushroom

Best you get some lifting in! :D

Good luck!

I'm also pretty sure someone has discussed sponsorship on a certain BJJ forum on FB, scrolling thru now.....

Pretty In Pink likes this.
  8. Pretty In Pink

They e-mailed me back saying they aren't sponsoring right now. Bit disappointing but got to move forward.

axelb and Knee Rider like this.
  9. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

That's because you need moar gainz! :D

axelb and Knee Rider like this.
  10. Mushroom

I scanned through some BJJ gi (Tatami, Valor etc) sites who you probably got a better chance with, but there aren't anything on their sites on protocol.

Pretty In Pink and axelb like this.
  11. Pretty In Pink

Nice. I'll get on it. I notice that a guy I beat recently fought on BAMMA! Little bit jealous but I'm definitely not training as hard as he is.

12. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Just keep going. You’ll get there for sure.

Travess and axelb like this.
  13. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I agree with a previous poster that your communication should emphasize how sponsorship would be a mutually beneficial relationship, not just a charity. Who and how many people would see their branding, and how would your fight style and personality serve as an effective ambassador for their brand?

14. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Hello from an island of the coast of Sulawesi with a very doggy internet connection. sorry I come so late to this thread. just spotted it.

first point repeating what others have said. you neat to explain how much exposure you are getting - how may people have seen your fights. this gives the numbers people an idea of how far their sponsorship pounds will reach.

second point - not mentioned so far. email and the internet are no substitute for actual contact. Look for likely companies. compose a sale script you can deliver in a few sentences. then a longer script for a face to face chat.

ring them up, say that you would like to drop in for a chat at their convenience. Get the name of an individual. The idea is to be polite but persistent. ring every three days until you get to speak to the individual. if they turn you down. send them an email to thank them and say you will contact them again in a few months to see if the situation has changed. if you give them the idea that it is less trouble for them to take the time to see you they will eventually let you though the door.

i got my last three jobs this way.

Respect for your dedication.

best

Tom

Pretty In Pink and Van Zandt like this.
  15. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Something else you could consider is finding a company to manage your brand and recruit sponsorship for you.

An ex client of mine had a job working for a company that represented skiers and snowboarders. The company managed the skiers “brands” and marketed the skiers to potential sponsors. I am sure that there are plenty of companies that would take your money and rip you off, but I am equally sure that you should be able to find some genuine companies.

I would try looking at minor sports people e.g kite surfers, low level cyclists, low level snow boarders and see who they have representing them. Then give the companies that represent them a call. Explain your situation and see what leads you can generate.

Off to watch the sun setting behind an extinct volcano set in a sapphire blue sea while sipping Irish whisky.

Pretty In Pink and Van Zandt like this.