Help me choose gi size

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Skiptowncat, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Skiptowncat

Skiptowncat New Member

I have only recently started BJJ within the past 6 months and bought a pretty cheap gi, size A2 to start with. I felt the gi jacket was a little small but acceptable to start with but is now very short on the sleeve and doesn't cross over very far around the waist.
    I'm 5'8" and a 14 stone 4 lbs with pretty broad shoulders and a bit of a beer gut (I'm working on losing it). So my size is A2 but my weight is A3
    In people's experience, do they all shrink quite a lot or is it because of the quality and would I be better off buying a A3 and then if it's too big try and shrink it?

Apologies for the noob questions!

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

You can buy short and long sizes with some makes.
    So an a3 Short would work.
    Or buy a makes thats bigger cut, like Fuji or blackeagle.

Or buy a Judo gi, as there more genourously cut.

3. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Different brands size differently so I'd refer to each individual manufacturer's sizing chart. I'm an A3 with certain brands, A4 with others. It also on what you mean by small jacket. Are the sleeves too short / is the jacket vertically not long enough, or is there not enough fabric to wrap around your stomach? If the former, some brands offer long sizes as said above. If the second, you'll have to go a size above.

For someone with your body type, I'd recommend Fuji. I'm bigger too - 6'1'' 230 - and Fuji gis fit me great. A trainer partner of mine with a similar body type agrees. They're easy to find and reasonably priced as well. I own a few gis (Fuji, X-Guard, Mizuno, Ronin, Aesthetic...) and the Fujis are still my go-tos. Only the Ronin is close. I don't recommend the X-Guard. I don't find it comfortable around the crotch area as it restricts movement. Same training partner, who like me has meaty thighs agrees there too. A Judo is an option but they're really baggy so that'll give your opponents a lot of fabric to grab while rolling. Good luck.

4. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

You also have to allow for shrinkage many brands are pre-shrunk but, pre-shrunk means different things to different brands. I have had pre-shrunk gis and used them for years and not had them shrink. I recently bought an vulcan gi, allegedly pre-shrunk, that has shrunk half a size in three months.

bummer : (

5. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Oh yeah. Meant to talk about shrinking. Only air dry a gi. If you used a drier, that's why it shrank too much.

6. Skiptowncat

Skiptowncat New Member

Just to update, bought an A3 was a bit too big. Put it in the dryer for 15 mins, perfect fit!