Help MAP

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by BlindClown, Aug 8, 2007.

1. BlindClown

BlindClown tinit

MODS: I Dont Know where i would place this so stuck it here as i know this is where most people from each individual sub forum go ...

Basically alot of things happening in my life (bad things) that i want to forget about so im turning to MA for salvation.

I currently Study Wing Chung under John Agar ( An Excellent Sifu ) , as you are all more than aware this is a external art so it is training my fitness and overall fighting side :) which im very happy with.

But with all this stuff going on in my life ( mental health issues , depression sorta getting over an addiction ) i want to clear my mind and focus on life in general to get my self feeling in tip top condition ..

I have read and watched alot of things to do with Tai Chi and was wondering if this is the best path i can go down... i have always liked the idea of focusing chi and using this within my Wing chung !

I came across the following statment on a tai chi website which really appeals to me at this present time in my life

> Tai Chi reduces stress and slows the aging process.

> Everybody can do Tai Chi.

> Tai Chi restores the power of youthful exuberance.

> Tai Chi is an efficient therapy that can improve all aspects of your life.

> By clearing the mind, Tai Chi reminds you that life is a miracle.

So i turn to those on MAP i have searched my self and found only one refernce to Tai Chi in my area(North East Of England) :( with very little info on the school or teacher... Does any one know of any schools or private teachers in my area??

Also What are your thoughts to me cross training in this art?

The Name of The Teacher i found was Simon Mallinson doesnt seem to have a website but i have an email address, i cant remeber how i found it due to the internet beign a cyber web in which i got lost in and cant trace back
    (and im an IT Tech :p )

So any Thoughts or anyone who can help its much appretiated

:Angel:

2. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Go for it.

3. SteelyPhil

SteelyPhil Messiah of Lovelamb

Aye, go for it. Tai Chi is great for relaxation and focus to say the least, Things which everybody needs.

4. Taoquan

Taoquan Valued Member

I actually used Tai Chi to get out of my depression and off my meds (along with Qigong and other forms of meditation). So I say with that it is excellent, as a MA it can be quite powerful as well (providing you find an instructor that teaches it as such). Don't go for any of the "New agey" only for health BS, most of them seem to have taken a weekend seminar on it and are now masters. From my personal exp. if you train in Tai Chi as a MA the other health benefits (mental, physical, emotional) will come.

Though be aware that the ideas may be the same but the physical movements etc. can be quite different from anything else most study. So long as you go into it with "an empty cup" you will be fine. Check out the Tai Chi forums for any additional info. I am not familiar with your area, so I cannot recommend a good instructor near you...sorry.

5. BlindClown

BlindClown tinit

Thanks for advice ppl....

Taoquan - Is the Quigon going to be apart of all tai chi or just certain schools that teach it as i believe this is the part of the tai chi which envolves the CHI energy ( correct me if im wrong )
    This is what i want to learn for my Kung Fu. I want to do the meditating and overall Tai Chi to feel the benefits of life and not have to feel depression ...

I can enter it with an " Empty Cup " if this means an open mind and willing to learn new theorys and philosphies about life and other ways of doing things. Not To bothered about the Martial art side of Tai Chi but as you say if i find a teacher who teaches the MA side then i know its not a dodge school / teacher and he hasnt had a weeks seminar ..

6. Taoquan

Taoquan Valued Member

Qigong honestly can be a whole nother bucket of worms so to speak. It is best (imo) to look at Qigong separately from MA. I say this b/c usually the goal of Qigong is to develop general health, longevity and even advance to Shengong (spiritual) training. There are people out there that do only this w/o ever even doing any MA. So if you are not necessarily interested in learning another MA, then maybe look into Qigong (pm me if you would like more info here)

If you are looking to learn Qigong and Qi techniques for increasing your fighting prowess, you would have to also find a very legit instructor there as well. Tai Chi Chuan has the basis of this (Qi training) in it, again depending on the instructor. I don't like to say that training with or w/o qi is superior or inferior it is all training. The problem I have found when you look for Tai Chi Chuan that emphasizes Qi training, they do NO physical conditioning.

This is really stupid (imo) as how can you be healthy w/o physical conditioning??? Also look at the practitioners and speak with the students of prospective schools. Do they act like they are "down to earth" and look healthy? Or are they overweight and out of breath when they finish forms and speak of peace etc. but then walk off flustered?

To put it flatly you know what you want and what you need, if you find a school/teacher/students cannot provide you with it, walk.

7. BlindClown

BlindClown tinit

Well im not really looking to start a new MA , iam more intrested in the focusing Chi and the overall clearing my mind ( sort of meditation ) Just im going through a bad time in my life and want to turn to this to clear my mind. also i have been fascinated by focusing CHI for a long time now ... just i have no idea where to start .. TAi Chi or Qigong... how i saw it is that you learn tai chi and qigong at the same time...

hence why i have started this thread i really need some advice and you have been great Taoquan , so if u can put up with my limited knowledge and help me i would appretiate it alot...

8. Taoquan

Taoquan Valued Member

Ask away,
    It seems you would be better suited to start Qigong if you are not interested in Tai Chi as a MA. Though it can be helpful as a "health" practice, I am not a fan as most don't teach martial applications and after all defending your life is healthy :D
    Any questions you have I will try to answer, also look up Onyomi's posts as he is a very knowledgable Qigong practitioner.