Help! I'm scared of sparring with my instructor

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by pulp fiction, Mar 3, 2006.

1. pulp fiction

pulp fiction TKD fighter

Yesterday, I trained with my instructor who is much bigger than me. We had to do some hogu drills (kick the other person with WTF armor), and I had to kick my instructor. What happens is that he hit me so hard with a back kick that almost broke my rib. It hurts when I breathe and when I talk too loud.

This drill that we were doing supposedly, one person had to kick the other with a turning kick to the stomach and the other person counters with a back kick.

My instructor was distracted watching everyone else so he kind of kicked without noticing anything. I am really scared of his kicks, so when we were doing these drills I was even more scared. In one kick that he countered with a back kick, he hit me right in the lowest rib, under the hogu. So I just fell down.

I don't know what to do. I don't want to train with my instructor again.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2006
  2. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Tell your instructor to go lighter. He probably doesnt know that he is going too hard. Its very hard for someone that is used to going hard to know when they are going too hard for someone.

Before you drill with him next, just say "could you go lighter this time, you really hurt me last time".

3. tkdextra1

tkdextra1 Valued Member

I agree with NK. Just talk to him about it. If you do and it doesn't help, or he ignores you, then start getting worried.

4. Deedum

Deedum Valued Member

when i first took up karate, i broke a rib by being kicked, at the time i didnt know how to breathe/exhale properly, make sure your are , but yes tell your instructor to slow down a little

5. BigRed389

BigRed389 Valued Member

I'm a bit uncomfortable with the fact that he was involved personally.

I think an instructor should stand back and observe so they can spot mistakes. If he wants to give you one on one instruction that's absolutely outstanding, but if he's distracted that's dangerous to YOU.

6. succubus

succubus so hot right now

yeah... the solution naughtyknight suggested seems the obvious one to me- talk to him? he's never going to know that he's causing you discomfort if you don't tell him about it. during sparring and/or drills, partners are supposed to pull their punches/kicks- you never want to intentionally hurt the other person. if it's just a case of him not knowing, tell him about and make sure he concentrates. if he's doing it on purpose, and he carries on doing it after you talk to him about it, you have cause for complaint- try going to a member senior member of your club.

maybe you're not breathing correctly as well? ask him about that.

7. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

ive never understood the point of those drills... what are they supposed to do exactly? get the kicker used to holding back their power, or get the kickee used to not blocking kicks? although going by the TKD at the olympics it seems to cover both pretty well

but yer just ask him. i know when we have a new guy in the sparring class our coach has to stop now and then and remind us to lighten up on them because you quite simply forget.

8. Taffy37

Taffy37 just blue

As above simply as him to ease up

At the end of the day your not going to get a better sparring partner than your instructor

9. deaddoll

deaddoll New Member

Have you been training long,if not I would worry..
    If you are experienced ,you might need a bit more conditioning.
    Occasionally things happen in the dojo, accidents that cause injury or things that make us a bit scared for next time :cry: ..overcomming these can only make us stronger ...so definately dont not partner your Sensei ... :)

10. Jamesy

Jamesy Valued Member

Like said before tell him to calm it down a bit. Out of interest how long have you been training?

11. vindaloo

vindaloo Banned Banned

i agree, an instructor should never drill with his students.

12. NaughtyKnight

I hope you are joking. You get better by training with the best, I love sparing with my coach. An instructor should never just stand at the front barking orders, he should be right in the thick of it.

13. |MT|omar

|MT|omar Thai Boxer

Dude, you're doing a martial art... you're supposed to get hit now and again :p
    Maybe takin up ballet will make u feel more comfortable :p j/k

But yeah, tell him to go lighter on the kicks. It's not worth gettin hurt just coz you dont wanna tell someone to tone it down a bit

14. BigRed389

BigRed389 Valued Member

Oh I definitely agree. But he said that he was distracted while drilling. That's a dangerous situation where the instructor is dividing his attention between sparring drills with a student, and observing others in the class.

OTOH on further reflection I realize there's also probably more to the story.

15. NaughtyKnight

Thats why there should be more than one coach. Taking in turns between drilling with the fighters, and walking around to make sure that eveyrones technique is perfect.

16. Tetsujin

Tetsujin Valued Member

I agree with everyone else just talk to your instructor tell him to go easy on you...

3rd Dan PTC TBB

17. Don't assume you know anything about TKD. If you did you'd be able to see the obvious. The point of those drills is to get used to not having a guard atall. Don't you know that in real fights people never actually step within 3 feet of each other?

Hands are un-necessary. The ultimate guard position is something like this.

[​IMG]

You silly Muay Thai people guarding your head. What's the point? But do we come into your forum and insult your martial art? No we don't. Look for yourself.

[​IMG]

Is he "blocking that kick?" ... No he isn't. See. We drill like this so we can attain this level of proficiency.

Think before you type in future.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2006
  18. NaughtyKnight

BWHAHAHA. :D quality pwnage.

19. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

i must bow to your superior knowledge of iron face qi gong ragnarok :D

20. "Face to foot style! How'd ya like it?"

[If anyone gets the reference. You're awesome. :p]