Help findig a school

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Rhythmkiller, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

Hi Guys,

Wonder if any of you from south/North Lanarkshire area can recommend a BJJ school for me to attend.

I found a guy called Amro Boray on rate my BJJ instructor who operates out of Wishaw but i can't find his school. Any recomendation in the Motherwell/Wishaw/Coatbridge/Hamilton area would be greatly appreciated.

Also found the Scottish Hit Squad but i'd struggle to make their time table.

Thanks in advance.

Baza

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

dunno much about scottish geography, but the griphouse seems to be near (or at least not much farther away than north and south lanarkshire seem to be from each other :p), and i've heard nothing buy overwhelmingly good things about it from the sots MAists i know.

http://www.thegriphouse.co.uk/

3. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

Griphouse is one i'm looking at. Geography in terms of parking might be a nightmare though as it's in the city centre but yeah the griphouse is one i'm looking at.

Baza

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

In Glasgow there is a Gracie Barra place near the Grip. No idea on the quality though.

5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

The grip is literally world class, its definatly worth tge effort, plus i think they have some ssatellite classes further out too. Hit them up on FB.

Glasgow barra hasnt a great rep unfortunately, but thats rumours and conjecture, rather then my own personal experience.

6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I agree with this. There are two Grip gyms I can think of. One is called D-Unit and another is The Lions Den. Although there are certainly more.

7. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

I have read very few positive things about GB Glasgow to be honest. Plus they are moving in line with the rest of GB clubs in the UK and Ireland, so that will mean monthly payments, having to wear only offical GB stuff etc...

8. slideyfoot

slideyfoot Co-Founder of Artemis BJJ

It has a reputation for being overly commercial and the instructor has caught a lot of flak from the rest of the BJJ scene in Glasgow. I trained there once and spoke to the instructor for Jiu Jitsu Style a while back: he seemed nice enough and wasn't terrible on the mat, but he's rapidly gone from purple to black since then, which is rather surprising.

Personally, if I was in Glasgow I would train with Scott McVeigh. He's a black belt under Royce, a super nice guy and regularly brings over people like Rickson for seminars. However, I haven't trained at the Griphouse, which gets a lot of recommendations too.