Help and advice needed by a newbie.

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Liquid Steel, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Liquid Steel

Liquid Steel Valued Member

I've been training MA since I was 17 starting with TKD and then moving onto Taijutsu, a little Judo and Silat.
    I'm now 24 and I've been studying Muay Thai, in a half arsed fashion, for a few years too and I recently started going to the occasional BJJ session. I've always been an athlete as a youngster, I used to compete in high jump and long distance running at the county/nationals level. So that all sounds ok as a starting point for mma training...

Thing is, I also have a bit of a drinking problem and have done for a few years now on-and-off. I won't go into details but lets just say I'm not exactly training at my peak level. Recently (in the past few days) I've quit the booze, I've quit the drunken smoking and I want to concentrate on my training and my academic work.

In order to have something to keep me motivated/nervous I've entered an amateur MMA tournie in 7 weeks time. I expect to get the snot beaten out of me of course but hey, not exactly the first time thats happened! So given the background I have some questions...

1) Who the hell is gonna give me a license with so little mma experience?! My BJJ instructor definitely won't.

2) If I train 6 days a week for 7 weeks exactly how much can I make up for my lack of experience/years of physical abuse? I'm not worried about striking but in terms of grappling I know I'm awful! I can dedicate as much time as I like to training btw as I don't have to work until after my uni stuff is over.

3) With the no headshots and obvious bias towards grappling should I use my "reasonably good" clinch game and just try to knee my way to a TKO? Is this a valid tactic in Am MMA?

4) Is any of this a good idea or am I just mad?!

2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

It's a fantastically mad idea.

3. Liquid Steel

Thanks!

What about license issues? Is that going to be a serious problem?

4. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Wouldn't have thought so. You a member of an MMA gym?

5. Liquid Steel

No, I train everything separately. My BJJ coach only gives licenses to people purple and above iirc.

I start at a new MT gym on sunday and I also train at a judo-orientated jiu jitsu club?

6. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Yep, you're boned.

But then with all the safety equipment and rules in brit am MMA you might as well have someone throw tennis balls at you, so I'd say odds are good that if you are willing to walk in and throw when someone is punching back, you probably won't get anyone who is going to really wreck you for your first fight.

7. querist

querist MAP Resident Linguist?

License? Is this some sort of MMA or BJJ thing? Do you mean that your instructor needs to sign off that you may participate in the tournament?

8. Liquid Steel

I'm not sure why you need a license, sounds ridiculous to me. However, yes, essentially you need to fight on behalf of some team or instructor. I tried looking it up but there is sweet FA available info-wise.

Apparently people have cornermen and everything? I guess I'll have to ask someone about that too. I hate being dependent on anyone, I wish I could just go, fight, leave. I've never really gone in for the whole "team" thing.

9. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

If you are serious about stopping drinking you should go to a couple of AA sessions. They can give you the tools to help you with quitting drinking. As for using the training to help quit I think that is a great idea. I'm doing the same thing with BJJ as part of my recovery (al-anon my issues are with my alcoholic wife). I'm not interested in competing as of yet.

IMO you shouldn't be competing yet, the extra stress could lead to a relapse. Focus on your recovery to start. The competitions can come later.

Take what you want and leave the rest.

10. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Generally it's the ******* child of a need to guarantee blood testing and identity and a desire for revenue and a professional image.