Hello

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Futh, Dec 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Futh

Futh Banned Banned

Hi guyz, I'm Futh, I,m a self-taught expert in Nunchaku.

2. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

Hi Futh - I know enough about nunchaku to keep out of the room while you're demonstrating your expertise :p

Combining your profile, and your intro post, we know very little about you. When did you first start swinging the linked sticks about? Do you work on precision, twirling, or power? Who do you spar with (and do you do it safely)??

Tell us more....

3. Futh

Futh Banned Banned

Well I first picked up the chunks when I was 3 when my uncle bought me toy pair. I did whatever I saw on movies at first. Then I was given a book on chucks as birthday present when I was 10. I copied the moves out of the book and just did that. I mainly work on hitting things with it. I usually do that by hitting a pole in the ground in my backyard. I occasionally spar with a Korean friend who does JoDo, the Japanese art of the short staff. He helped me invent my own style, it's named Sukk Kuk Do which according to him means "way of the Nunchaku" in Korean. Anyways we spar mainly football helmets and and padded weapons.

4. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

hmm thats strange. the korean term for nunchaku is jool bong!

5. Futh

Futh Banned Banned

:confused: I only speak one language, and thats American. For all I know it could be a different dialect then the one jool bong comes from. No offense, but I'm gonna trust my friend on this one rather then some guy on the net.

6. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

Welcome

Attached Files:

7. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

Hi welcome to MAP.

I think you should be careful about using the word expert especially as you are self taught. There are many people on here you have spent years training in a Dojo yet would not be so presumptuous as to call themselves an expert ;)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
  8. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

You could verify net guy's comment by doing a google search for "jool bong" and seeeing if you get lots of korean nunchaku, then googling "sukk kuk" and seeing if that has the same effect.

9. Lord Spooky

I dread to think what you get when googling that! ;)

10. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I think it means something naughty in Norwegian :D

Oh and welcome!

11. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Someone try it! I'm at work so if anything rude comes up, I get sacked!

12. Lord Spooky

Aaaaaaand at the top of the google search is

This thread! :rolleyes:

13. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Yeah :D I saw something related to death metal and Norwegian swearing but didnt dare delve any deeper.

:p

14. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

fair enough. i only speak one language too but i have studied a korean art for the last nine years.

welcome to map btw :)

15. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

As people have already said, and as I myself have already said in another post today, you cannot learn a martial art - particularly a weapons art - without an instructor.

You say you first started using nunchaku aged 3, an age at which I doubt you will have been able to take much in, and also an age where you are likely to hit yourself with anything, not just a weapon. Your profile says you are 22, so 19 years of self-teaching. When attempting to teach yourself a martial art, you naturally pick up bad habits that go unchecked. Should you ever decide to join a ryukyu kobudo class to learn the nunchaku from an instructor, 19 years of said bad habits won't be easy to shift.

You also say you have invented your own martial art. Quite frankly, only those who have trained for decades under an instructor in a specific style and teenagers who think they are better than everyone else invent their own style, and in the case of the former the style isn't so much an invention as a development of their own learnings. From what I can tell of you from your posts so far on this site, you are not from the first group.

You appear to have attempted to give your art a Korean name, trusting your friend's knowledge of the language and without doing any research to check him. Again, this is a bad thing - similar to those who get tattoos in Chinese without checking the meaning, only to realise they have "supermarket" written on their arm.

I suggest that either you drop any illusions of being an expert in your own art and get to a dojo, or you keep it to yourself while you are on the site to save yourself from those who won't be as polite as I am being.

Oh, and welcome to MAP.

16. Futh

Futh Banned Banned

First off, I first picked up the Chucks at age 3, I didn't say I started "using" them at age 3. I didn't start seriously pursuing them until 10

Second, I call myself an expert because I've actually used what I know with a Nunchaku in fights, not just in sparring matches but in fights.

Third I've been sparring against Dojo trained martial artists for 4yrs now.

Fourth, I say I made my own style because of the fact that I never learned under any instructor.

17. Futh

Futh Banned Banned

One last thing Anth, I'm 17. I don't know why the hell my profile has 1985 on it.
    I was born in 1990

18. Lord Spooky

Why on earth are you engaging in real fights with weapons?

That means you either carry them on you all the time which is really dumb or have gone out looking for conflict whist carrying them which is equally dumb, actually no that's worse!

Regardless of that using them and being successful in a “real fight”, whatever that maybe, doesn’t automatically make you an expert especially as we don’t know the circumstances of these “fights”.

Who have you sparred against? I mean which arts? What’s the experience of those you’ve sparred?

Which in fact just means you've been playing silly buggers in the back yard. If you've spent all this time and effort doing this then why not go learn in a Dojo?

19. Futh

Futh Banned Banned

Well man you try being the only gay kid in a small hicktown of less then 1000 people. Thats why I carry my nunchaku. I can't the count the number of times I've been jumped by the local jocks.

As to who I've sparred, well I spar with Folks who practice at the only dojo in town. They practice bo and jo. I mainly practice against someone who uses a Jo. The one newest to Martial Arts among is 3yrs experience.

My friend who uses the Jo has been doing it for 7.

the two others I spar with use the Bo and they've been doing it five yrs a piece.

20. Lord Spooky

Maybe you should look at where you’re going and why they have the opportunity to jump you?

Can I take it that in these instances your opponents have been unarmed?

Have you had to face any legal repercussions due to your weapons use?

What do they study? Saying they practice Bo and Jo is a bit generic. They have to be learning a specific style.

Sorry I’m having real trouble believing you beat someone with five years Bojutsu under their belt when you’re using Nunchaku and have no real training. The distance advantage is huge there especially if they have some solid experience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.