Hello

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Skiptowncat, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Skiptowncat

Skiptowncat New Member

I found this great site after searching around for some BJJ tips so decided to join up. I've been doing BJJ for about 4 months and have just picked up my first stripes.

I'm 36 now and gave up football as a past time after having a terrible run of injuries (ankle ligament left, tore right calf, left hamstring, ankle ligament right pretty much one after the other).
    I do go to the gym but generally focus on strength work, being on a treadmill or exercise bike bores the hell out of me. So when I was looking for some other form of cardio, I decided on BJJ as a friend teaches it and it's close to where I live.

I have previously studied karate (goju ryu) and judo, but that was over 20 years ago!!

Finding it tough against some of the young, quick guys but having good strength is a big help. Hope to stick around and pick up some tips and in the future be able to contribute some pearls of wisdom....so hello all

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Welcome to MAP.

3. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Welcome to MAP... Good luck with your future injuries :D

4. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Hello back. and welcome.

The best advice I can give is get some mat shoes - it will make you more vulnerable to foot locks, but much less vulnerable to broken toes.

Broken toes suck.

5. Skiptowncat

Skiptowncat New Member

Not at the foot lock stages yet, that's somewhere off in the future but I'll keep it in mind.
    Busted my knee about a month in (torn meniscus) but it only kept me off for a couple of weeks so have found some decent supportive knee pads to be a godsend.

6. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

Welcome. You'll find BJJ generally less injurious compared to something like football!

7. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Actually I recently started up BBJ for the exercise. I have been doing it for a few months and already have noticeable improvements in cardio and strength. I also have hip and feet injuries that limit load and work rate of exercise when standing but I find I can go much harder for longer on the floor without causing problems.

:)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  8. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

Welcome to the show! Congrats on the stripe!

9. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Welcome to MAP! :)

10. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

Welcome !