Hello

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Cen Garsden, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Cen Garsden

Cen Garsden Flamin' Wobbygong

While this is technically my second post, hi, I'm Cen.

I used to post on the Aikidojournal forums many moons ago (if anyone from there is here, hi). I teach Aiki Budo privately in Melbourne, am a reasonable "midterm aikidoka" (15 years) and love to cross train and shoot the wind about anything martial arts.

Thanks for having me.

2. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

Welcome! I use to do Tomiki Aikido about 10 years ago, really interesting system. What branch of Aikido do you teach or is it an Daito Ryu/Daito Ryu offshoot?

3. Cen Garsden

Hi there. What I teach is fundamentally exactly what you see in the "Budo" manual written by Ueshiba when his art was called Aiki Budo. My favourite Aikido system is without a doubt the Iwama style, but I have trained in both Yoshinkan and Aikikai styles as well. Many shidoshi of many styles "recreate" Aiki Budo in training, and since I also study Judo and jujutsu I find this to be the most highly effective variant of the Aiki systems I know, and by calling what I teach Aiki Budo I can sidestep the horrible political backstabbing that WILL kill Aikido if left unchecked. I am shortly beginning my training in Takumakai Daito-ryu aikijujutsu.

Thanks for the welcome!

4. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

Good stuff! Sounds like you have good experience. I think you are right, Aikido is in decline. I did a thread about it here:

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122547

Daito Ryu does look like a fascinating system, you are lucky you get to train in it! Hope it goes well and keep us up to date.

5. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Welcome!

6. Cen Garsden

Thank you. ^

Prizewriter, I would be happy to add a comment on that thread with your permission. I however don't believe Aikido is in decline, merely stagnant. I believe my website is however linked in my description (!?!) and I have done a bit of a similar "opinion piece" there.

7. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

Go for it! No need to ask, work away.

8. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Welcome to MAP!

9. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Welcome man! :D

10. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Welcome to Map!