Hello, MAP.

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by 7pm in Kyoto, Aug 27, 2015.

1. 7pm in Kyoto

7pm in Kyoto Valued Member

Hello, MAP.

I'm Nate, it's a pleasure to meet you all.

It's actually a relief to find a large-scale forum dedicated to Martial Arts, I myself train in: Karate, Muay Thai, Taekwondo, Kung Fu and Judo.

Though we incorporate the training as would be done in MMA, our Dojo is very traditional and we don't refer to it as MMA; instead we call it 'Freestyle'.

Anyway there isn't much to say about myself, I don't suppose. I'm pretty active on multiple Vbulletin forums, so I think it's fair to say I get the gist of how things work around these places. Hopefully it shouldn't take me too long to get to know this community.

Nice to meet you.

2. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Alright, that's some mixture there :)

3. 7pm in Kyoto

It doesn't feel like it when we train, haha.

4. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

What are the rules of freestyle if i may inquire?

Also, welcome.

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Welcome man :)

6. 7pm in Kyoto

I'm sorry but you'll have to elaborate on rules? As in when fighting?

Our academy doesn't believe in 'styles'.
    Having a specific style only limits you to that individual technique, right.
    Freestyle allows you to train in multiple styles; the logic behind this is that if one was to get into a fight, they can adjust to whatever fighting style would be most appropriate in said fight. Though that's merely an insight as to what we do.

The rules (I take it you mean whilst sparring, apologies if you meant otherwise) is pretty much the same as those in point fighting. Again, sorry if I've misinterpreted your question.

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  7. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Ah, i was thinking given the relation to mma, but given the distinction of freestyle there would be some set of corresponding rules, similar to daido juku.

How do you incorporate ground striking and submissions into point fighting, if i may inquire further?

8. 7pm in Kyoto

When we spar, we don't allow submission attacks albeit are trained to perform them.

Note I'm talking about in the Dojo itself, in tournaments we, granted the rules apply, can use submission techniques.

I guess the same goes for ground striking.

9. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Fair enough then.

10. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

11. 7pm in Kyoto

yo

12. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Welcome to MAP! :)

13. 7pm in Kyoto

Thank you.

14. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Hey welcome :)

How come your school doesn't allow submissions in sparring?

15. holycrapple

holycrapple Valued Member

Welcome aboard the forum buddy, have a great stay here.