Hello,have question

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by victim_no_more, Feb 21, 2007.

1. sprint

sprint Banned Banned

man. i really hope that you are a troll.

2. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

I think if you approached any potential instructor with your concerns, he'd be very understanding. Probably shocked and horrified that someone misused BJJ like that. I've found most MA teachers to be very accomodating to special circumstances.

I can only echo what others have said about women in the class. There are one or two in the BJJ class I go to, but I've seen up to a 50/50 split in other classes.

3. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

You hope who is a troll? :confused:

4. Agutrot-

Agutrot- Jack of all Trades

I know you can overcome weight and strength in BJJ, but only to a limit. There's a white belt in my class who weighs over 400 pounds and he gives even the purple and brown belts a tough time. Weight is definately an advantage. Her rapist trains in BJJ as well so he will never be completely untrained. There are women who train at my academy up to purple belt and CSW girls who are pro MMA fighters and I can still easily dominate them. (I just got my blue) If he means business, a women will not be able to out-grapple a man of equal training. I didn't say not to fight back, I said fight smart.

5. Atharel

Atharel Errant

1) Hopefully the rapist is kicked out of his academy soon, preventing further advancement.

2) Length of training != skill, I can easily beat several people that have been training for a year longer than me and I lose to this one annoying kid that has been training a few months less than me. If she trains hard and earnestly it is reasonable to expect her to be able to beat even someone with training a large percentage of the time, barring a massive weight difference, and even then skill can beat it.

3) see Marcelo Garcia v Xande Ribeiro
    Marcelo Garcia is an inspiration and a testament to the fact that BJJ really is about skill.

6. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

And really, size and strength are an advantage. Big friggin' deal. We're all dealt the cosmic hand we're dealt, physically. We can improve our conditioning, but BJ Penn will never be a heavyweight. Ain't gonna happen. Didn't keep him from training.

A small woman who's out of shape and completely without training or a small woman who is well conditioned and trains hard in a practical grappling art. In my mind, the choice is simple, and whether size or strength is merely difficult or simply impossible to overcome is completely irrelevant to the situation.

Train or don't train. The choice is simple.

7. victim_no_more

victim_no_more Valued Member

I have no doubt that women who train in any area of self-defense have a better chance of not only escaping but also do some damage. I also understand that this is not the norm(least i don't think). I'm not really a 'weakling' by any means. I'm in shape, exercise etc, but I am only 5'4 115-120pounds who tried to fight off someone who was about 6'2 and 180(maybe more) pounds or so. Right before the actual act he only used one hand to pin me down and I fought like all heck to break free. My arm got loose once,maybe twice only for him to pin it back down again. When someone who feels like they weigh a ton,plus the weight of their strength, it's a helpless feeling, but maybe that's where skill comes in, which is what some have been saying.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  8. JayKayD

JayKayD Meet my friend PAIN!

I think the best thing a woman can do is try and claw a guys eyes out. Stick your thumb in his eye, lose all inhibition, and imagine your trying to scratch your nail against the inside of his skull.

9. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

I am really just suggesting that the size of your opponent is out of your control. All you can control is whether you choose to prepare yourself as best you can or not. While it's always possible that you'll run into a guy who's bigger, stronger and better trained than you are, it's also possible that you'll get hit by a car tomorrow. Will that possibility keep you from going near a busy intersection or crossing the street? Probably not.

Really, the best thing any of us can do to prepare ourselves is to get in shape and train in whatever art we deem most practical. I'm admittedly biased in that I think that the best single art a person can train in for self defense is BJJ, particularly women. If you can cross train, good on ya! But the discussion about whether a woman can beat a larger man, or whether size or strength can be overcome is defeatist and completely beside the point.

I wish you the best of luck, and I hope that you get whatever help you need, emotionally as well as physically.

10. victim_no_more

victim_no_more Valued Member

Again I agree, I just see both sides of the coin, and part of me is basing that on past experiences. If I didn't think training worked I wouldn't be looking into it, which btw after getting over my shame/embarasment, I finally told one instructor what happened to me, what I'm looking for, what I would be comfortable w/ etc and I will be starting a private class with two or three other women in my same boat in a few weeks:)

11. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

outstanding! that's very good to hear.

we've all been there. some of us are there every single class. the only solution is training.

fighting my way out from underneath a larger, stronger opponent is what i spend about 90% of my rolling time working on. i'm not getting bigger, and i'm not getting significantly stronger, so the task itself never gets easier... but i'm getting demonstrably better at it. it IS doable.

train hard - you've clearly got the motivation.

12. jujitsuka07

jujitsuka07 Body by Pizza Hut!

V.N.M., I'm very sorry!

If you are reluctant to go to a jujitsu class, maybe take a girl friend with you. You might feel more comfortable since there will be alot of dudes there. Maybe just watch the first time or so, if you don't want to train right away.

If you do want to train, but don't want to be on the ground yet, you could tell the instructor that you'd had a bad experience on the ground, and don't want to work on ground techniques right away. He/she would probably let you work into them over time when you are ready.

I understand that you are wanting to learn jujitsu because that's what this guy trains in, but even if you can't find a jujitsu school, try to find another martial art school. You may not be familiar with martial arts, but some other self-defense/grapply arts are Judo, Hapkido, Aikido, and Krav Maga.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2007
  13. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

Outstanding to hear. I'll tell you, as a mid 30's guy who is naturally strong and on the medium to large size of the scale, actually walking into the school was one of the hardest things I've done. It took me probably 2 months to find a suitable school, and another 2 months to work up enough courage to do more than drive by. I was completely outside of my comfort zone. That you've taken that first step is admirable and a testament to your determination. Keep moving forward and I would love to hear updates from you periodically!

I'd also recommend that you keep a log. I write mine online, but that's certainly not necessary. If you keep a log of your training, how you feel, what worked and what didn't, it really gives you a sense of accomplishment. You can go back and chart your progress.